Author Topic: Will less DMU permits change your plans  (Read 7005 times)

Offline pikeon

• Nubbie
Will less DMU permits change your plans
« on: Aug 26, 2006, 11:04:55 AM »
With the reduction of DMU permits this year. Will you change you hunting location on opening day. We had a dicussion at work and the majority if guys are hunting area's that they recieved permits. Just wondering what others think. This could change hunting pressure in traditionally heavily hunted area's.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
Re: Will less DMU permits change your plans
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2006, 01:52:38 PM »
in a way yes, depending on what area i get my permit for? i hunt 2 main areas in different counties, so if i get a permit for one spot and not the other, i will obviously hunt there more often ???

Offline Perch Inc.

• Spiked
  • Monster Perch Rulz!!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2006, 12:43:12 AM »
We have been hunting 4J No changes in DMU's, it Bow Only!! I got two for there!! I hope that the changes will HELP the deer herds in the zones that don't have permits this year!!
Pass it on the GREAT NY Outdoors!!         

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2006, 12:09:27 PM »
well i guess i got my answer, i didnt get any doe tags, so it doesnt really matter where i hunt :-\ but i can still get my either or with bow and muzzleloader, just have to be a little more patient with the rifle/shotgun :-\

remember you can re-apply nov. 1, if your going to do that, get there early, they are on a first come first serve basis.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2006, 04:20:54 PM »
I did not get one but with 3 chances, (bow, muzzleloader, rifle) I am not too worried.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline deerslayer92163

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2006, 06:24:45 PM »
well i guess i got my answer, i didnt get any doe tags, so it doesnt really matter where i hunt :-\ but i can still get my either or with bow and muzzleloader, just have to be a little more patient with the rifle/shotgun :-\

remember you can re-apply nov. 1, if your going to do that, get there early, they are on a first come first serve basis.

did you have pref pts from last yr and got denied or did you get a dmp last yr just wondering the method of their madness i got denied last yr but got one this yr and the yr before i got 4

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2006, 10:08:18 PM »
did you have pref pts from last yr and got denied or did you get a dmp last yr just wondering the method of their madness i got denied last yr but got one this yr and the yr before i got 4

i thought i had a preference point for 9x, it was my first choice last year and i was denied, and again, i was denied for it ??? i was also denied for 9s allegany state park, which had a high percentage of getting one ???

if you figure out the method to the madness, let me know :-\

Offline Blindsquirrel

• Spiked
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2006, 03:42:57 PM »
If you were denied on your first choice last year, you should have had a preference point.  However, a preference point does not guarantee that you will receive a permit.  For 9x this year you needed a preference point just to be eligible.  So with only 1 preference point you had the lowest probability possible to receive a permit. 

If I understand the process, you should have 2 preference point next year.

This is what I found that describes the DMP process:
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/license/dmpchances.html

Hope it helps. ;D
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2006, 05:15:28 PM »
yeah, i know the process, ive been huntin 18 years, the low doe permits kinda annoy me, the deer are all over down there :'( i do have 2 preference points now, but im not going to be down there next year, so 2 preference points in allegany county doesnt do me much good, i figured since i had 1 point i would give it a shot as my first try,didnt work ??? and ASP/9s had a high probability and still nothing :'( maybe ill get one mailed to me or ill re-apply on Nov. 1 and hopefully get one ???

Offline deerslayer92163

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2006, 06:12:13 PM »
good luck the list with areas that have avail permits will be out in about a month

Offline Blindsquirrel

• Spiked
« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2006, 06:21:51 PM »
I don't believe that your preference points are area specific.  They are applied to whatever area you select.  So......with 2 points you should have a very good change of being selected next year in any area you choose.

Unless, there is a conspiracy against you getting any more permits. :P

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2006, 09:15:48 PM »
im not sure? i was told your preference points were for the area you were denied?
honestly i hope your right, that would be great.

your just north of me, maybe you could point me in a good direction to hunt up here ???
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2006, 09:44:47 PM by archbishop »

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Sep 19, 2006, 08:50:34 AM »
Preference points are area specific

:'( i knew it :'( well, i still have the chance to get it mailed to me, and then the re-application on Nov. 1

Offline Blindsquirrel

• Spiked
« Reply #13 on: Sep 19, 2006, 08:52:35 AM »
I did some research on the DEC’s website concerning preference points.  I could not find anything that indicated if preference points were area specific or not.

I call the DMP Information Hotline, 1-866-472-4332 and asked them.  They told me that preference points are not area specific and can be used in any area.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Sep 19, 2006, 10:22:48 AM »
yeah blind squirrel, i called mybuddy earlier who is a DEC officer down in catt. county and he told me the same thing, a preference point is a preference point, and is NOT area specific. thankfully, i now have 2 preference points and should "should" lol get a permit next year, unless your conspiracy theory is correct about me ;) :D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal