Author Topic: 2005 Deer Season  (Read 1902 times)

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
2005 Deer Season
« on: Mar 09, 2006, 10:31:45 AM »
I just read in the local paper that NY's total deer harvest was down. But on the plus side NY had the Fewest hunting accidents in years with only 29 accidents...4 of which were fatalities. The article went on to say that DEC says most counties in NY are below the desired level of deer. Should be even less DMP's issued next year. Only the late season muzzleloading and Bowhunting harvest went up. They think this is due to the extension of these seasons.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline big j 2520

• Nubbie
Re: 2005 Deer Season
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2006, 12:00:44 PM »
adkRoy, I'm glad to hear that. I think it still be lower on the accidents. There's still allot of people out there doing stupid stuff. I see it every year.

yeah, the deer harvest. What a screwed up year. Bow hunting in hurricane conditions, and seeing deer ( saw a few nice ones ;) ). Reg. Season comes and where the heck they all go. Did the tree stands first week. Saw 17 opening day. One buck that I put in the freezer. Next day saw 6. After that only saw 3 the rest of the week. The rest of the season I did allot of still hunting without allot of success. By the end of reg. season I got 1 more , a doe. I'm hoping 06 is better than 05.

Big J
Which way did he go !!!!!

Offline Inwellb4light

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2006, 10:48:36 AM »
The total deer harvest was down....however; the total buck harvest was up... there was a 14% decline in the harvest of deer in NY, but the buck take jumped from 88,733 in '04 to 89,015 in '05...and the state can say what they want about giving us bowbunters a more lengthy late season.  As far as I and at least another dozen bowhunters are concerned, they can take that whole late season crap and stick it...just give us our last weekend in november back!
"You can learn more about hunting deer with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life"  - Fred Bear

Offline applejacks

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2006, 07:41:42 PM »
I have hunted the Oneonta area for many years, and it just isn't the same.  The back to back heavy winter storms of a few years ago just took a really heavy toll, and the state did not react quickly enough in reducing doe permits.  The reduced statewide total is understandable after seeing the steep decline in deer hunting quality in the Oneonta area.  Too bad

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal