Author Topic: This years  (Read 3670 times)

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
Re: This years
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2020, 01:21:56 PM »
Beautiful buck! Congrats!
Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline The 3Ps

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2020, 07:06:41 PM »
Friday I took 10 to 12lbs worth of Steaks, Burger and Sausage over to that family who owns the property where I finished off my deer. Also once again expressed my gratitude for what they allowed. I explained that was not how you ever want a hunt to go, but things don't always go as planned so you must play out the hand you were dealt even if you were the dealer and the player in the same game.
What happened botherd me for day's!
 I never want to wound a deer and definitely was off with my trajectory for this shot and should have put more thought into the situation before I squeezed off. My guns sighted in for 100 yards and have never had issue with it hitting its mark at 40 or 100 at anytime since I've owned it. If I missed,  it was on me not the gun. Problem is I certainly did not take the time to estimate my grade. I bow hunt and am constantly checking my range finder for my grade from my stand for shot placement and try to focus on where exit point for arrow would be if a deer was to come through. I'm only good for 35 yards with the old Bear whitetail II   ;) .
 I will honestly say it never even came into my head before I took the shot (though it should have) or I certainly would have pulled up what I thought was 3" on his body behind the shoulder. My entrance hole was in a good spot, but the exit was low and back. So obviously he was facing me more than I realized and not as broadside as he looked. Also when I went in that Sunday to get my stand. I brought my range finder and red ribbon. I went in and flagged the spot he was standing then went to the top of the hill where my stand was. From up in my stand it put me at a 25% grade. Definitely should have pulled up for a vital pass through. Would have smoked both lungs instead of the lower part of one. Total miscalculation in trajectory by me. Best bring my range finder "rifle" hunting, get new glasses and a rifle with a scope and undersights for next season. Perhaps I'll get my dad's old Winchester model 70 back into action for next season?? Always loved that rifle!
Hope all you "smokers" get some good weather to finish off the season. I'll get over to an expanded area and try to deal me a good hand on Saturdays till the end.
Local tagging station hung up like 543 deer so far. Some good deer again this year.
patience, persistence, presentation

Offline Mtnman

• Forked
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2020, 07:04:25 PM »
Good on you for sharing the spoils. Did they accept it?

Offline The 3Ps

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2020, 08:01:58 PM »
They were elated! They have recently moved here from Portland, so its quite different than what they are use to. His 7 year old boy was most excited as he witnessed me dragging the deer out beside their garage like they told me to do that day. Im sure he was hoping he gets to grow up and hunt those woods himself. Was 3/4 of a mile from my home with only a 75 yard drag. Was the least I could do for these folks!
patience, persistence, presentation

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2020, 05:46:34 AM »
Got a nice one congrats to you

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal