The Camp Fire > Wild Game In The Kitchen/Campstove Cooking

Canned Deer Meat

(1/3) > >>

heymax:

You put the deer meat (1 to 2 inch chunks) in boiling water and brown them up a bit. Then you put the meat in quart mason jars and pour the broth into the jar(don't stuff the meat to tight and fill the jar to about 1 inch from the top. Put the lids on and put them in a Pressure Cooker for either 11 pounds for 90 minutes or 15 pounds for 45 minutes. Let the pressure come down on it's own and when it reads 0, wait a few more minutes and remove the cover to the cooker. Pull out the jars and place them on the counter to cool and you'll hear the lids pop. Some folks add a beef bullion cube some don't. You can also add a tea spoon of salt if you may. Some even use V-8 instead of the broth. Enjoy, Max

P.S. Read your instructions that come with your Pressure Cooker as some things vary. Be careful

Issiah:
What keeps the meat from spoiling?  Have you ever done Salmon?  I use to eat Salmon from canning jars when I was a kid; we made fish patties from it.  Catch plenty of Salmon now and sure would like to know how to can it...

heymax:
It's cooked and it's pressure sealed. Just like any other canned product. It won't last forever but it will last a while. I have a Canned Fish recipe as well.   

In a pint jar packed with fish add:

1 Tablespoon minced onions
    1 Tablespoon cooking oil
    1 Tablespoon ketchup
    1 teaspoon liquid smoke
    1 teaspoon salt

Pressure cook at 10lbs for 90 minutes. This is one of the best ways that I know to eat fish. It looks like Puke in a jar when it's done but spread some on a ritz cracker and wow. I tried this for the first time when I was stationed in Iceland. Enjoy.... Max

Issiah:
Thanx Max....I'll have to try it

rocky:
Just the other day a guy at work was telling me how good canned deer meat is.  Might have to give it a try now, thanks for your post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version