Hunting by Game/Technique > Deer Hunting

Spook them or stay?

(1/2) > >>

BearHunter60:
Almost every night I sit I have deer come through right at the end of shooting light. The deer have been hanging around my stand after dark to feed and won't let me leave my stand. I can't move further towards the bedding area to catch them earlier. I've been staying late after dark to wait them out to leave my stand so I don't educate them on where my stand is. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Do people bring something up into their stand to throw away from their position to scare the deer off?

swnoel:
That use to happen to me frequently...I would bark and shake the tree rustling the leaves... seemed to work.

jlaclair:
Do a coyote call

BearHunter60:
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try next time. The deer in my spot are pretty used to people. I climbed into my stand the other day for a night sit and there was a doe bedded up 40 yrds away from my stand. Didn't spook her at all when I was getting set up. Nothing better than live bait for the rut

stka:
I've thrown sticks and bark at them with no effect. One thing that seems to work is to lower your bow and rustle it in the leave. Otherwise I try to wait for them to be out of sight or until it's real dark and ease down. I'm not worried about spooking them once I'm on the ground, but don't want them to see me in the stand.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version