Author Topic: I am only begging hunting/shooting what gun should I get  (Read 3140 times)

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: I am only begging hunting/shooting what gun should I get
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2017, 07:47:00 PM »
The Ruger American is a awesome first rifle and should fit you well. Get a .308 and it will cover everything you need in the continental U.S. very accurate and well made for the price point. Put a leupold vx-1 on it and have at it. Good luck with your purchase. Shoulder a few first a comfortable gun is invaluable.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline chris338378

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2017, 08:34:26 AM »
A .243 Winchester is also a good caliber for someone beginning to shoot because of its mild recoil and it has a little less recoil than the .308 and 7mm08.

Offline Big John

• Nubbie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2017, 07:13:50 AM »
I personally prefer an older model savage 110 long action in .308 for a number of reasons, First and foremost they are accurate right out of the box and they are not bad priced. Second getting parts for repair and or modifications is easy. Lastly I just like the way one can make them shoot. Here is a picture of mine.

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2017, 11:29:44 AM »
I would go with a 308 for a first rifle. More knock down power than a 243. My wife is 5'2 and that's her favorite gun. Savage 308 with accu trigger
icefishinman88 on the shanty

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2017, 04:46:32 AM »
Where are you,what is the terrain and what are you planning to hunt?

Offline Seamonkey84

• Nubbie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 2017, 11:17:02 AM »
Where are you,what is the terrain and what are you planning to hunt?

That's is the question that should of been asked first. If mostly want to do target shooting and deer hunting, you can't go wrong with the Savage or the Ruger in 308.
I'm a rifle lover first, but honestly a 12 or 20ga pump shotgun (ideally with interchangeable rifled and smooth barrels) is prob the best/most versatile first gun for hunting and learning to shoot. With the right shot size or slugs, everything from small doves and squirrels up to deer can be taken effectively with one gun.

Offline DefiantFoosty

• Nubbie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2017, 08:32:36 AM »
Good to hear you want to hunt!  If you're hunting public land, be aware of your state laws concerning caliber. The .243 is a great round, accurate, good for deer and coyotes, easy on the shoulder. Check out the weatherby vanguard 2. Mine is a tack driver!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal