The Camp Fire > Wild Game In The Kitchen/Campstove Cooking

Grinding sausage on my own

<< < (2/7) > >>

stka:
I always ground straight into casings, just make sure you try to keep air pockets out. If you use natural casings rinse them out with water. Find one end and run cold tap water into it, then just work it through the whole length.

drobertsinMaryland:
1. We use 5lbs of pork scrap with 15 lbs of venison.
2. We mix the seasoning in after we grind both the pork and the venison up.
3. We grind the pork and venison separately then mix in the seasoning with both. Then run both threw the grinder again with a fine plate in the grinder.
4. The smaller the better for grinding.

halfrack33:
1- I am planing on adding some pork to the venison, they recommend 30%. What is the concensus out there?

I would say that sounds about right. I don't like to add too too much. I'd say 30-40% sounds right. I've made sausage about a dozen times and this seemed like a good ratio.

2- Do you mix your seasoning in with the meat before its ground or after? I am planning on trying to fill some of the casings and if you mix the seasoning after then you would have to regrind all of it to fill the casings. Is that how its done or is everything premixed before grinding?

I ALWAYS mix seasoning after grinding. It gets the flavor throughout the meat much better.

3- If a pre-grinding is done do you grind the venison and pork separately and them mix them?

N/A

4- and lastly, most of my venison to grind is in pretty small chunks but I have to cut up the pork I plan to use, the smaller the better for ginding?

Smaller is good. I'd take a little time to get rid of as much silver skin as you can. It can eat up cheaper electric grinders, and will just be a pain in the but with a hand grinder. 

Deposit:
Thanks for the info. guys! I will put it into use when I get a chance.

bogmanjr:
Can you shim the counter with a small board or 2?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version