Author Topic: Spook them or stay?  (Read 9149 times)

Offline BearHunter60

• Forked
Spook them or stay?
« on: Nov 07, 2012, 08:23:18 AM »
Almost every night I sit I have deer come through right at the end of shooting light. The deer have been hanging around my stand after dark to feed and won't let me leave my stand. I can't move further towards the bedding area to catch them earlier. I've been staying late after dark to wait them out to leave my stand so I don't educate them on where my stand is. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Do people bring something up into their stand to throw away from their position to scare the deer off?

Offline swnoel

• 6 Pointer
Re: Spook them or stay?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2012, 04:08:42 PM »
That use to happen to me frequently...I would bark and shake the tree rustling the leaves... seemed to work.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2012, 04:50:37 PM »
Do a coyote call
Take a Kid outside...

Offline BearHunter60

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2012, 08:01:59 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try next time. The deer in my spot are pretty used to people. I climbed into my stand the other day for a night sit and there was a doe bedded up 40 yrds away from my stand. Didn't spook her at all when I was getting set up. Nothing better than live bait for the rut

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2012, 08:05:49 AM »
I've thrown sticks and bark at them with no effect. One thing that seems to work is to lower your bow and rustle it in the leave. Otherwise I try to wait for them to be out of sight or until it's real dark and ease down. I'm not worried about spooking them once I'm on the ground, but don't want them to see me in the stand.

Offline BearHunter60

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2012, 08:44:18 AM »
I grunted at the doe that was bedded down infront of me to see if it spook her. All she did was pick her head up to scratch her ear and that was about it. I left in the morning and came back for a night sit and she never moved from her bed

Offline fatman

• 6 Pointer
  • Always Expect The Unexpected
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2012, 11:32:34 PM »
I carry a slingshot for annoying squirrels.  I have used that in the past to make a noise off in the distance to get them to move.  If they are really close you can wack them in the but to get them moving.Lol
No matter how big a deer is. You can only put a little piece on your fork at a time.

Offline wackmaster308

• Nubbie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2015, 10:30:00 AM »
good idea with the slingshot im gonna have to get one. have u ever tried to shoot something soaked in deer urine out of the slingshot to disperse scent?

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2015, 02:28:17 PM »
good idea with the slingshot im gonna have to get one. have u ever tried to shoot something soaked in deer urine out of the slingshot to disperse scent?

Welcome to the site............. ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline MGK

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2015, 03:16:28 PM »
I had a nice 8pt come in a couple minutes after legal last year. I tried to wait him out but he was hanging around for a little while. I accidentally dropped my hat when I turned to see if I could get a better look at him. He blew and took off and I thought that I'd blown all chances with him for the year. I had him on the camera in the same spot 2 days later so I'm convinced if they can't smell you and they don't know exactly what you are, scaring them in the dark isn't too big of a deal.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal