Author Topic: Won't forget this moose hunt  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Darby

• Forked
Won't forget this moose hunt
« on: Oct 19, 2020, 08:25:39 AM »
So a frien's daughter got a bull for zone 4 last week.  We spent a day and a half near Useless Road, but only saw cows, and a group of 12 people set up in a gravel pit that constantly drove the same roads.  Tuesday afternoon we headed West.  Proceeded to see 3 cows on 1 road, and on the way back, a bull had joined one of the cows.  The cow would not get out of the way, and after 5 minutes it started raining.  We creap down the hill (cause why wouldn't it be downhill) and both people get a good shot off, and the bull goes downhill.....see where this is going >:(  He goes another 100 yards, and more shots, and goes down.  I look back towards the truck, and instantly know we're in for a tough evening.   Did I mention that at this point its absolutely pouring.  We drag the chains, rope, 5000lb winch, battery and start witching.  Going well until battery dies after about an hour of pulling.  Guessing 675lbs, uphill through your typical north woods.  Hook up smaller winch to generator, and due to the rain, the generator keeps dying as a safety measure.  Still have about 275 yards, and 100 yards shy of rope/cable.  So the other guy starts to quarter the bull, while the daughter and I start lugging the gear back to the truck.  Oh yeah, its still pouring.  Guessing the hind quarter was about 130lbs, and the fronts were in the 90lb range.  I did one hindquarter,  and the 2 fronts....and didn't die!!!!  Guess what, 9:30 and its still raining!  A tired group got back to camp around 11:30, and they had to get up 3:30 because the girl had her SAT's at 8:00 in Portland, then drive back to Millinocket to tag it.  Camp in unorganized territory,  so 7 days, not 18hours to tag animal.  We won't forget this hunt ever, but very proud of the young lady.  Not once did she complain,  which is more than I can say for myself ;D. Due to rain, not a lot of pics, but here is the head.  Smaller, but measured out at 41 1/2".  Not a bad first moose, and the tenderloin was fantastic

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
Re: Won't forget this moose hunt
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2020, 08:49:01 AM »
great job!! alot of work but well worth it Id take that anyday of the week. i got mine same scenario but didnt want to give up or quarter it took over 4hrs but was well worth it tasty! Props to you you guys enjoy.

Offline monk

• 8 Pointer
  • I'd rather be outdoors
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2020, 11:18:10 AM »
Awesome!
 MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! God Bless America!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Rooseve

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2020, 01:34:17 PM »
Congratulations to the young lady....
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline zwiggles

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2020, 04:37:57 PM »

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2020, 04:38:49 PM »
Nice work!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline sharpshooter

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2020, 09:46:29 PM »
congrats  and enjoy your meat

Offline Darby

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2020, 08:03:17 AM »
Thanks everybody.  Had some of the tenderloin again last night, and my daughter (15)  loved it....the wife won't even try ;D. Good luck to everyone for deer season,  and hoping my daughter gets a crack at the 8 pointer i have on camera Saturday.   Her last youthday. Here was her first deer at 12

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2020, 03:28:09 PM »
Awesome! Can’t wait to see the results
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2020, 12:19:26 AM »
Congrats to you both

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal