Author Topic: best store ammo for the hunter that doesn't re-load  (Read 11577 times)

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
Re: best store ammo for the hunter that doesn't re-load
« Reply #15 on: Sep 16, 2013, 07:25:14 PM »
shouldnt mattet. a good bullet works on any and all angles EVERYTIME. nosler partition. nuff said. read about it and they arent that expensive.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #16 on: Sep 16, 2013, 07:32:42 PM »
Gunnar I shoot a 7mm08 remmington 120 grains so a light bullet like yours and I have shot deer in both the shoulder and just behind it shots to the shoulder have dropped them in there tracks but most I the time needed a follow up shot.  Shots to the heart lung area some drop right there other take a short death run.   I prefer just begin the shoulder as it won't ruin te meat a shoulder shot does

Offline mschott

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #17 on: Sep 16, 2013, 07:40:17 PM »
My wife shoots 100 gr rem core lokt's out of her 243 and has yet to lose one -even with a few marginal hits :-\      they aren't called the deadliest mushroom in the woods for nothing !
Bad decisions make for good stories !

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: Sep 17, 2013, 06:46:26 AM »
lol what a catchy slogan eh'

FrankM

« Reply #19 on: Sep 17, 2013, 08:50:33 AM »
150 GR core lokt PSP in .30-06 typically drops them in their tracks for me and I got my last 2 boxes on sale for $14.99 each.  That was before the NY Safe Act drove the price of ammo sky high.  for white tails 150 GR is plenty of bullet.  For your .243 the 100 GR kills deer very well.  They don't go far at all if you put a shot in their vitals.  One of the guys in our group shoots a Remington 760 in .243 and it is a sweet deer gun.

Offline Cornbread

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Sep 17, 2013, 04:22:25 PM »
I reload but I like to buy rounds as well when I need new brass so when I do that I want rounds I can hunt with. I shoot Hornady's American Whitetail ammo for this reason. Really nice brass and I can shoot sub-moa with them from the store. They come in 100gr .243. My mom shoots a .243 and all the deer she has ever shot with that gun have died either on the spot or after a short run. I'm with the other poster, I like to him them behind the shoulder not in it, it ruins less meat that way. I get a lot of bang, flop, dead using the American Whitetail 150gr in .308. They have Hornady Interlock bullets in them so bullet performance has always been really good for me and I reload with the same bullet.

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Sep 18, 2013, 07:00:45 AM »
i wanns clear something up before someone takrs what am saying the wrong way.

i aint sayin they wont or dont kill effectivley. im just simply saying that they are NOT up to the task as a premium like s barnes or a partition over a wider range of situations such as angle , penitration and expansion, holding together at close range and drive deep at long ranges etc. thats the simple truth of it. that is ss clear as i can think to put it. have fun and good kuck this season.

btw. i will buy any spent brass u dont want.

BP

Offline gunner

• Forked
« Reply #22 on: Sep 18, 2013, 08:56:45 PM »
Thanks guys---The reason I started this thread was  because I shot a nice doe last year at about 80 yds.  She arched right up and left a pretty good blood trail for a short distance but we lost her without any snow.  The first deer that I ever lost.. I was heart sick. Not a good night's sleep!!  I thought maybe I might have banged my  scope.  So the next day a fairly small doe came by at about 40 yds.  I said I will aim for the head if I miss it's the gun if not I won't be wasting any meat-----so bang  flop.  Which still makes me wonder what I did wrong on the first doe ????  So this was why I asked about bullets--- by the way, the doe may have been small but man-o-man how super tender-wow.  Gunner

Offline bone_and_beard

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #23 on: Oct 03, 2013, 04:38:47 PM »
dont use the 180s on deer..those are whats used for moose bear elk and larger game...you wont get full expansion in the 180s on a whitetail...try dropping down to the 150 or 165 like i said b4 iv used them for 3 season as well as my wife father and brother..between all of us we have taken over 15 deer in the last 3 seasons with them and they make a great big hole
I have taken fully expanded bullets out of deer before, sometimes I don't even get a pass through.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal