Author Topic: Warning from DEC to Waterfowl hunters  (Read 1493 times)

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Warning from DEC to Waterfowl hunters
« on: Oct 25, 2006, 07:29:56 AM »
DEC warns waterfowl may be infected
October 25,2006
(Albany, NY - AP) - Hunters and anglers along the shores of eastern Lake Ontario are being advised to use caution when handling waterfowl or fish that appear sick.

The state Department of Environmental Conservation says it's investigating the deaths of dozens of water birds in the area and are testing them for type E botulism.

Water birds infected by botulism become paralyzed and can't fly.

In 2000, the DEC says thousands of water birds were found washed up on the shoreline and tested positive for type E botulism. Outbreaks have occurred on Lake Erie every year since.

Eating contaminated birds or fish can be harmful to humans. No human illnesses have been reported.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline fshnfool

• 6 Pointer
  • ssssssshhhh....I'm hunting wwwabbit
Re: Warning from DEC to Waterfowl hunters
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2006, 07:41:56 AM »
something else to have mandatory testing on maybe?   :-\
~Scott~

Offline mcully

• Forked
Re: Warning from DEC to Waterfowl hunters
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2006, 06:12:59 AM »
I fished otisco lake last Saturday and saw a flock of divers and a couple of them looked crippled like they couldn't fly or just didn't want to. Thought it was odd but I wonder if they didn't fly south with all of the weather coming in and then got sick? I saw four loon also. Makes me wonder we just figured they had been wounded.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal