Author Topic: NH I1 Cow  (Read 5730 times)

Offline loonman

• Nubbie
NH I1 Cow
« on: Dec 07, 2012, 06:15:03 AM »
After some confusion with the state and a last minute subpermity change, my dad badly dislocated his ankle and was still in a walking boot during the hunt, my brother and I got a 630 pound cow. I had never spent time in that part of the state so i didn't know just how many moose were around. We saw moose every day but Monday, including calling 2 bulls in to less than 20 yards. I had a cow tag so it limitted what we could shoot but Tuesday night i called in a cow, yes i said called. I was able to break my new muzzeloader in the right way.

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
Re: NH I1 Cow
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2012, 06:36:35 AM »
Good job guys!  ;D

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2012, 06:56:33 AM »
awesome loonman.......welcome and I love your name.....

Offline Spikes

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2012, 09:47:20 AM »
Congrats on the beautiful moose!
Spikes

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2012, 10:34:42 AM »
Very nice...  That should fill the freezer..................
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2012, 05:06:23 PM »
Awesome job guy's Got the makings for some real good eating  :) :)

Offline bassranger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2012, 08:13:21 PM »
Nice job. Nothing better than moose meat.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2012, 09:16:28 PM »
Congratulations. How do you get a whole moose to the truck? Did you need to rifle to finish her off?

Offline loonman

• Nubbie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2012, 08:30:49 AM »
Congratulations. How do you get a whole moose to the truck? Did you need to rifle to finish her off?

We shot her on a state owned game land so we couldn't drive on it but we had permission on some privet property next to it so we used a chainsaw winch to get her to the edge of the state land (150 yard+/-) and rolled her into the bucket of a back hoe. we had meet a landowner that lived just down the road and he was the one that got us permission on the privet property. i gave him a call to see if i could drive my truck through a little field to access the back of the state land so we could drag her out and he was so excited he brought his back hoe down and helped get her out,  as a thanks we gave him about 50lbs of the meat. As she was running my brother did shoot at her but we never found where/if he hit it, the way the wind was blowing the smoke form my muzzeloader was blocking his shooting window. she ran about 30 yards or so and piled up. i hit her on the front shoulder with a 295 gr barns solid copper and it passed through her heart and lodged just below the skin on the other shoulder. the bullet didn't open all the way for some reason but it still put a 1 inch hole through everything. my dad and i have shot several deer with the 245 gr barns and we have yet to get a bullet back so i don't know if its common for the barns muzzeloader bullets to not open all the way or if it was just the angle i hit the moose at.
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2012, 09:23:18 AM by loonman »

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2012, 08:37:08 AM »
Great story ; Awesome landowner you sure made him very happy know you get his land to hunt on for sure
way to go Guy's    ;) :) :) :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal