Author Topic: Stories of First Deer  (Read 14923 times)

Offline MGK

• 6 Pointer
Stories of First Deer
« on: Oct 30, 2012, 02:01:44 PM »
I saw this on another site and loved reading the stories. Everyone remembers the first one so lets hear them!

Offline MGK

• 6 Pointer
Re: Stories of First Deer
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2012, 02:05:06 PM »
I'll start it off..

I shot my first and only (so far ) on youth day in 2007 in Caribou. I was 13 and eager to get out as my brother had shot his first deer (4pt) the year before. My father and I got out early into a spot we had scouted during the summer and found a decent number of does and a nice 5pt. At the time, it was legal to shoot a deer of either sex on youth day even in Northern Maine so I was looking for anything. As we crept into an old cut at first light, I spotted some movement about 200 yards away. Sure enough it was a deer so my father and I started belly crawling until we got about 125 yards away. I rested my .270 on a stump and dropped the deer. I thought it was a doe because it had it's head down when I shot it but too my surprise, I had shot the 5pt. My brother came over to help with the drag and it took the 3 of us 2.5 hours to get him out.

5pt 135lbs

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2012, 02:12:10 PM »
I have an issue with this..........I have to get one first to participate......I am on strike lol just kidding....great story thanks for sharing

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2012, 02:26:16 PM »
Awesome job there young man Congrads on your first ; I'm headed your way come this weeked  ;D ;D ;D

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2012, 02:31:56 PM »
Great story MGK and good thread to get started.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2012, 02:44:29 PM »
Sweet thread and story MGK....
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline lewk24

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2012, 02:54:30 PM »
I am in the same boat as loony...haha

Luke

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2012, 03:08:58 PM »
Wish I had a good story to tell but it was so uneventful... :(
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2012, 03:29:58 PM »
Wish I had a good story to tell but it was so uneventful... :(

Your so old you don't remember be honest. ::)
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline buckhunta

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2012, 03:43:52 PM »
well i got out of work Thursday and there was about 2 inches of snow on the ground so i went to camp realized i didn't have any bread so i hopped back in the truck headed down the road to the store went in and got my grocery's on the way back to camp i said i cant take it anymore so i took a dirt road  onto another dort road  got a quarter of a mile down the road saw a nice set of tracks crossing the road so i kept going got to the end of the road and i turned around on the way back i passed a small  cut on my left a took a quick glance up in and i thought i saw a deer so i hit the brakes and backed up sure enough it was a nice buck when i came to a stop he turned towards me so i quickly shut the truck off  i looked for my clip for what felt like ten minutes but it was probably only 30 seconds could not find my clip but i found a box of slugs for my 12 gauge so i hopped out popped the first slug in slid the second one  right after i put the first one on the buck took two steps right behind a big stump so i took a couple steps down the road and there he was standing broadside at 25 yards i fired his back legs went right up in the air so i knew i hit him i fired a second shot as he took off running that hit a tree in front of him  so i ran up to where was standing i looked down the skidder trail and i saw him pick his head up i raised the gun again (good thing i didn't have to fire again i forgot to put more slugs in the gun) he dropped his head and i successfully shot my first whitetail deer

5 pointer 215 pounds

i will have more pics tomorrow when i upload the rest

at the tagging station on the scales

little better view of the rack

droppin him back in the truck

startin to gut him out

IF ITS BROWN ITS DOWN
people that steal other peoples stuff  are lower than whale on the bottom of the ocean

Offline MGK

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 30, 2012, 03:50:01 PM »
Nice one buckhunta! 200 pounder for your first is impressive

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2012, 04:08:04 PM »
I am in the same boat as loony...haha

Luke

all aboard the loony tune catamaran

Offline bone_and_beard

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2012, 05:51:46 PM »
Its was youth day 2005 and I was 11 years old. My dad and I were sititng in our spot before first light. At sbout 9:00 I told my dad thats I was cold and that I did not want to be late to my soccer game that morning. My dad looked at his watch and said 3 more mins and we will leave. When he said I just rolled my eyes and sat their. Two mins later he said here comes 3 deer, I looked to the left and saw 3 does coming. When I raised my gun the deer saw me move and froze. Armed with a ruger .44 mag rifle I set my sights on one of the broadside does shot and missed. My dad told me to shoot again but my gun was jammed so I handed it to him and he cleared the jam and gave it back to me. I shot again and missed and 2 of the does ran off. My dad said shoot the one facing right at us. I fired another shot at the that doe and missed again, I said to my dad im out of shells and he said while trying to hold back laughter reload and I took off my gloves reached in my pocket and grabbed a lose shell and threw in into my .44 and slamed the action. On this shot I got serious I stood up aimed fired and dropped the doe in her tracks! It was only a 100 pound doe but for 11 year old me I was thrilled! Its amazing that the deer stood their for that long but I didnt mind!  :)

Offline dougd

• Forked
« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2012, 06:25:06 PM »
My first was also my biggest so far. That morning I walked along one of the gated roads in the area and got in about a mile and decided to head back towards the truck but along the stream which runs parallel to the road. I made my way back and about half way back I could hear something coming through the alders which border the stream. I took a seat on a nearby stump and listened. I thought for sure a moose was coming due to the amount of noise it was making. Next thing I know all I can see is antlers heading my way over a knoll, I still couldn't see the deer just the antlers. Then he makes his way to the top of the knoll and I take aim and fire. Clean Miss. Buck fever. But I must of had luck on my side because all he did was take a few steps forward and stopped. He gave me just enough time to take aim and a deep breath and I got him on the second shot. He ran maybe 50 yards and piled up. 8 point 184 pounds. Not huge but he made a great mount.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2012, 06:31:34 PM »
I had already been bow hunting for at least 2-3 years and was in my mid 20's (I think) when I shot my first deer. I had only hunted with my family on their properties and wasn't allowed to shoot any does or bucks smaller than an 8pt. I honestly saw deer pretty much every time I got on stand and never had a buck big enough to shoot offer me a shot, usually saw one a year though. One of my uncles realized I'd never shot anything and gave me permission to shoot whatever I wanted. The next time I went out I decided I was going to take him up on it  ;). My father was going on a hunt out west and I wanted him there when I shot my first one. It was the worst "stand" I've ever seen, just a foot of 2x6 nailed into a pine as a seat. Was a morning stand and after daybreak the deer started coming in from the field. First one to get in the open was a doe, when she paused I drew the bow and hit a limb on the pine, and she was gone. I was looking through the woods at the deer coming behind me and didn't see the second doe until she was leaving the shooting lane. Third deer was a spike, I drew as he was making his way to the lane and was ready that time. I just sat in the tree after the shot, not sure how long it was. When my father walked out he immediately noticed one less arrow in my quiver  ::). I hit the deer good but he still went about a hundred yards and dropped at the edge of the field. My father had a smile on his face and the first thing he said to me was "Congratulations, now your a murderer like the rest of us". I guess you have to know him to see the humor in it. So he asks me if I have my knife, which I had left in the truck. Then he realizes his knife was keeping mine company  ::), kind of funny since it's unlike either of us. All we had was my pocket knife so I didn't gut my first deer, got to watch him explain it to me as he struggled with my dull little knife. That drag was rough, there was quite a bit of snow on top of tall field grass. The spike were to small to hold onto making it even more of a pita. Someone had walked out and told my uncle, so fortunately once we got the few hundred yards to the quad trail he was there with the machine. That saved us at least 3-400yds of pulling it across the field. It was no beast but I was able to have my father there, that was big for me and I know it was for him as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal