Author Topic: Canned Hunts  (Read 9966 times)

Offline woodsman

• Spiked
Canned Hunts
« on: Aug 15, 2006, 09:09:35 AM »
I was wondering how everyone feels about the so called canned hunts...As in going to some ranch where the deer are baited into feeding areas???I was taught to earn my whitetails by developing my skills as a hunter and not by paying cash for them.Your comments are welcome..
woodsman

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
Re: Canned Hunts
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2006, 09:25:07 AM »
Well, if I were to shoot a deer over bait at some ranch I certainly wouldn't personally feel very proud of it. But, I say that as an able bodied person. If accessing a normal hunting area is physically challenging for a person then I feel it's a different story.
Adam

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2006, 09:44:50 AM »
NEGATIVE

with all the things for disabled hunters, hunting off 4wheelers, crossbows, etc... there is no excuse to hunt in a cage, baiting is never hunting, thats why its called baiting, these deer are trained to come into a feeder at certain times of the day, its already programed into there heads, these hunts are for people who want to brag about the rack they shot without putting in the work.

Offline sbfpa_Mike

• Forked
  • Everyone has a goal
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2006, 11:30:09 AM »
What about Bear baiting Jason? Would you consider baiting on public land hunting?

Mike
If you can catch it,  trap it,  jig it,  or kill it,  there is a place to talk about it.
Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2006, 12:54:40 PM »
What about Bear baiting Jason? Would you consider baiting on public land hunting?

Mike

lol, we had a big argument last year about bear baiting, i am against it, but if its legal its legal, its kinda understandable becuae bears dont just wander around a small area like deer, and bear arent out in fields and semi- easily patterned by the rut, so i understand why people do it, i personally dont, plus its illegal here, but when your putting up a moultry feeder in a field that goes off at 6pm everday, deer learn 6pm, be on your stand around 430-5 and you have a deer, i know its not exactly that easy but it kinda is, all you have to do is select the deer you want, if i wanted to shop i would go to the store, not the woods.

anyone ever see that king of the hill where the go to la grunta ???

Offline woodsman

• Spiked
« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2006, 08:26:33 AM »
lol, we had a big argument last year about bear baiting, i am against it, but if its legal its legal, its kinda understandable becuae bears dont just wander around a small area like deer, and bear arent out in fields and semi- easily patterned by the rut, so i understand why people do it, i personally dont, plus its illegal here, but when your putting up a moultry feeder in a field that goes off at 6pm everday, deer learn 6pm, be on your stand around 430-5 and you have a deer, i know its not exactly that easy but it kinda is, all you have to do is select the deer you want, if i wanted to shop i would go to the store, not the woods.

anyone ever see that king of the hill where the go to la grunta ???

Yes, bear hunting is a totally different animal to hunt..I do not agree with baiting or hounds but it is legal..I have always been a fair chase hunter..I have encountered a few bears while out in the woods but never had an urge to take one.As you said , during the rut, the hunting for the antlers becomes a little bit easier..
woodsman

Offline ifishhi

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2006, 10:04:24 AM »
i have baited bear, tried it for 6 yrs. had them coming in every year never saw one. just cause you can bait doesn't mean you will get one. just thought i'd share ;D

Offline woodsman

• Spiked
« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2006, 02:02:45 PM »
i have baited bear, tried it for 6 yrs. had them coming in every year never saw one. just cause you can bait doesn't mean you will get one. just thought i'd share ;D

Yep..Thanks for the input...The bear has a nose far superior than a whitetails...Trail camera might tell you what time they are moving in to feed....
woodsman

Offline sbfpa_Mike

• Forked
  • Everyone has a goal
« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2006, 05:10:17 PM »
Thanks for the honest opinion J, ifishhi, and Woodsman. I don't personally have any problem with Bear baiting. I would never personally hunt over a deer feeder on a Ranch. I would definately throw some apples cores under my stand. ;) I am against running bear and cats with dogs, but if it came to making it illeagal, I would support the hunting practice. I am of the kid stance when it comes to this kind of stuff; I treat the anti's like the kids, give em an inch, they will take a mile. :-\

Mike
If you can catch it,  trap it,  jig it,  or kill it,  there is a place to talk about it.
Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Offline woodsman

• Spiked
« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2006, 07:31:51 AM »
Thanks for the honest opinion J, ifishhi, and Woodsman. I don't personally have any problem with Bear baiting. I would never personally hunt over a deer feeder on a Ranch. I would definately throw some apples cores under my stand. ;) I am against running bear and cats with dogs, but if it came to making it illeagal, I would support the hunting practice. I am of the kid stance when it comes to this kind of stuff; I treat the anti's like the kids, give em an inch, they will take a mile. :-\

Mike

I agree mike....Thats why i was asking how we all feel about the so called canned hunts...You know the anti's will use this type of hunting practice to add to their vendetta to stop ALL types of hunting!!.In todays world we cannot as sportsmen let them chip away at the one thing we all love to do!!!!
woodsman

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2006, 08:25:30 AM »
no matter weather all sportsman stick together or not on the canned hunt issue it just gives anti's something to bitch about, if its fair chase they really have nothing but the fact we are killing animals to bitch about, but in the canned hunt issue, heck they have alot to bitch about, then they want all hunters to stick together because then they can say, see their all unethicle weather they do it or not they all agree on it ??? canned hunts are for rich people who could give two craps about the outdoors and just need a rack for their trophy room but dont want to put in any work for it, they make us all look bad, not only to anti's but to everyone, its not sporting in any way shape or form, its selective killing!

Offline ifishhi

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2006, 08:40:32 AM »
i heard about on-line hunting with a web cam and you controlled the gun and shot from your desk .they would mail you the mount. cammed hunt ???

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2006, 08:42:52 AM »
i heard about on-line hunting with a web cam and you controlled the gun and shot from your desk .they would mail you the mount. cammed hunt ???

:D i wouldn't be surprised if you were serious, i heard something like that last year, i don't know if people were serious or just joking on how lazy hunters are going to far with these canned hunts ??? it probably is true though ???

what does everyone think of the catch and realease deer hunting BS ???

Offline ifishhi

• Forked
« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2006, 09:11:19 AM »
I'm not kidding it was on a hunting show maybe American shooter. they showed the guns on tripods with robotics and the scope was the cam.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Aug 17, 2006, 09:21:54 AM »
I'm not kidding it was on a hunting show maybe American shooter. they showed the guns on tripods with robotics and the scope was the cam.

the only difference between that and canned hunts is you have to leave the house for a canned hunt, its still selective killing, i dont care what people say, how sportsman need to stick together, thats BS and i will never go along with that crap, it gives me and real sportsman a bad name, and thats what gives the anti's real fuel!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal