Author Topic: Youth Turkey Season  (Read 3794 times)

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
Youth Turkey Season
« on: Apr 18, 2011, 12:48:21 PM »
Here’s our story, my son is twelve and wants to turkey hunt this spring.  The season opens this coming weekend.  We have the gun, some calls, and a couple decoys, but neither of us has ever turkey hunted before.  He’s been shooting quite a bit and is comfortable with the gun.  We will be hunting on a private farm, and we have a decent idea of where to position ourselves on their travel rout.

Does anyone have any pointers for us?  When do you start calling, at sun up?  Should we go out the night before at sundown and try to find where they are roosted?  Any information would really be appreciated.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Youth Turkey Season
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2011, 01:05:01 PM »
Wish I was more experienced in this department to give you some helpful advice. Good luck to you both. Hope the boy bags a nice one.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2011, 01:34:22 PM »
Your best bet is to do as you said and "roost" them the night before. In the morning SNEAK as close as you feel you can without disturing them in the dark. Set the decoy at the boy's approximate effective range, this will help him to judge the distance. If the tom's near or between you and the decoy he's good to shoot. I would wait for the sky to start to brighten before I made any calls, In fact the tom may gobble before I call at all. A few soft yelp's will let him know where you are, don't call too much if your real new at the risk of making a bad noise. (less is better quite often if the bird is still roosted). With a little luck he should fly down right to you or come running as soon as he hit's the ground. Once he's on the ground and not coming straight in more calling is in order.

That in a nut shell is how I usually run a morning hunt. If you roost him the night before more time's than not it work's out. We have a bunch of real good turkey hunters here and I'm sure a few more will chime in with their tip's too. Good luck to you both and kudos to you for getting the boy out there.

Last thing- sitting still and covering as much exposed skin as possable is paramount.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline dan_lais

• 6 Pointer
  • can't wait for May 1st!!!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
sounds like bogman has killed a bird or 2 in his day  ;D .Just a friendly reminder OTIS be prepared to become addicted to the sport of outwitting a gobbler.always remember too that very seldom does turkey hunting go EXACTLY like you want it.if the boss is out strutting for his ladies always look for that lesser tom or jake to break off the group slowly to come check out your decoy.although hard sometimes patience is key.you might have to wait for a bit but if you see one bird getting further from the flock and comin to you be prepared to shoot.good luck to you guys make sure ya let us know how ya do.

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!!!!!!!!

Offline rjhulbert

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2011, 02:53:34 PM »
You say you have decoys depending on your personal preference I would say only use hens no jakes or toms. I only say this for your son to up the chance of a jake, or tom presenting themselves for a shot. Good luck out there keep us informed wish I had a junior to take out this weekend.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2011, 03:21:55 PM »
Bog pretty much covered it. Keep the youngster close to you to coach the shot.  ;) They tend to get a little excited.
Sometimes if you don't get an answer right away, don't move...Keep still and quiet, more birds will come in silent than you think.

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2011, 07:56:19 AM »
Thanks a ton for the replies guys.  They really help!  We're not hunting for a trophy, a jake would be awesome!  I have another questions if you don't mind.  The weather is calling for rain, does this bother the turkeys?  I know deer could care less about the rain.  We have one hen and one jake decoy, I'll just go with the lone hen.  Maybe we can catch a lonely male looking for love.

Offline eyehi

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2011, 10:12:49 AM »
Thanks a ton for the replies guys.  They really help!  We're not hunting for a trophy, a jake would be awesome!  I have another questions if you don't mind.  The weather is calling for rain, does this bother the turkeys?  I know deer could care less about the rain.  We have one hen and one jake decoy, I'll just go with the lone hen.  Maybe we can catch a lonely male looking for love.
rain doesnt seem to affect them as much as wind. a few other things to keep in mind are get there early and dress in full camo including facemask. turkeys pick u p on movement very well and sun reflecting on skin will bust u quickly. also it gets light very early this time of year and there is nothing worse than getting busted by a tom watching you set up. often times turkeys will strut in open fields during rain eating bugs out of the moist soil. good luck.  eyehi out

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2011, 11:38:21 AM »
That sounds perfect for the spot we're going to its where a standing corn field meets up with a hay lot along where the hardwoods, apples and tall pines come together.  We're going to set up in the hedge between the two fields.

Thank you to everyone for your help.

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Apr 19, 2011, 03:48:01 PM »
If its going to rain i would definetly try to roost the bird the night before.Then get the lone hen in the field in the morning.Just like eyehi said the birds a lot of times go into fields on rainy days.Keep your eyes open ive had them come in silent a lot on rainy mornings.Good luck
icefishinman88 on the shanty

Offline rjhulbert

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2011, 05:36:58 PM »
I am praying for rain on opening day I love hunting them in the rain always seem to be in the green fields doing their thing however depending on how hard the rain is depends on how much harder you have to hit the call since the rain will make your calls travel less. Loner hen should be just the key for lil jake or tom looking for a little action that he didn't know he was going to get lol  ;D ;D ;D ;D good luck out there be safe and tell your boy shoot straight  ;) and I would love to hear the story sat night successful (a kill) or what your birds taught you for your first lesson which don't worry they will give you plenty but its worth it when it all comes together and walk out with him over your shoulder

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Apr 20, 2011, 08:33:49 AM »
Thanks guys!  I'll post some pics and let everyone know how we do.

Offline bauls25

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Apr 21, 2011, 09:38:29 AM »
Good luck to all the youth hunters this weekend, their gonna need it with this recent weather. Its blowing 30mph and snowflakes in the air, hope the birds cooperate for them. Might have luck if you can find a gully or gorge out of the wind.  Dont forget to stake your blinds down.

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Apr 22, 2011, 07:16:04 PM »
Good luck in the morning everyone
icefishinman88 on the shanty

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #14 on: Apr 23, 2011, 07:06:15 AM »
First morning of the youth turkey hunt was a bust...   Started out with freezing rain than turned into a down pour..... 
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal