Author Topic: (5) 4 days and counting...  (Read 2544 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
(5) 4 days and counting...
« on: Nov 15, 2010, 10:22:05 AM »
I was really hoping to get a deer with the bow this year but time is running out...   With south gun season opening on Saturday things might change for me..I know there are a lot of small bucks and a coulpe of good ones around..  I just hope I get a shot at one of the good ones... ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2010, 05:11:48 AM by Raquettedacker »
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: 5 days and counting...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2010, 10:24:56 AM »
I have a feeling your time is coming buddy.

FrankM

« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2010, 11:33:57 AM »
I always feel a bit let down when archery season ends.  I do gun hunt but its a whole different ball game.  There are only 4 of us that bowhunt my property and our lease and we always see a lot more big bucks during archery.  We will likely have 10 guys in the woods for gun season and all those bucks we see during archery will go nocturnal quickly or move off onto other properties.  One thing I have learned is that stand hunting on opening day is a waste of time for us.  The last several opening days have been dismal failures when it comes to seeing deer. My plan for this year is to sit on stand for no more than an hour or two and then still hunt the rest of the day.  I plan to stay in the woods all day. We have been having better luck in the later part of gun season the past few years as we have been taking more deer during the last 2 weeks  than in the early season.  The deer go back to more like their natural movements later in the season as I think 80% of hunters don't hunt much after the first week.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2010, 12:28:27 PM »
Yup, bummed its coming to an end..  Good weather today and tomorrow than its rain on Wed. than snow showers the rest of the week...   Heading out now.. I have to put my time in this week..   Not that I havent all season.. ;D

Offline mcully

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2010, 12:40:09 PM »
I always hope for wind with snow and rain mix for opening weekend. Tends to thin the guys that pull a gun out once a year faster.

Offline marcus

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2010, 05:41:58 PM »
Im glad to have put the bow away and got the slugs out and ready for the weekend. Bring it on

Offline millermankt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2010, 11:04:39 PM »
I hear ya !   Down to 4 days now !  ;D

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2010, 04:57:56 AM »
Raquett---good luck----

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: (5) 4 days and counting...
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2010, 05:23:11 AM »
Thanks Joe..
I have seen more bucks this past week than I have seen in the past 4 years.. Even last night I saw a small six and I think I saw the big 8 I got the picture of over the weekend...  All way out of bow range but well within gun. ;D
So on Saturday do I shoot the first buck I see or do I wait for one of the older ones??
It may be to late but I'm really thinking about moving my ladder stand today about 50yards down the lane.

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2010, 06:21:17 AM »
Look forward to seeing your smiling face holding a deer soon.   I might be over your way with Viv a few times th next couple weeks,, maybe we'll run into each other.  If so, the coffee is on me.  He brings me to a piece of stateland just outside the frankfort / schuyler area...

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2010, 06:26:25 AM »
Thanks.. Sounds good to me...

Offline weavs150

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2010, 08:56:42 AM »
speaking of slug guns  anyone ever have a problem with a rem 1100 that will shoot two in the center then the next few shots are scatered all over i grabbed a gun vice so for the most part it takes any flinching or pulling on my part..i took my red dot off and put a scope on im heading to shoot that when the wife gets home to take the baby so i can rule out my red dot failing.. any input would be great

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2010, 09:33:52 AM »
Sounds like the same thing my Ruger M77 30-06 does. The problem with mine is that when the barrel gets hot it goes off center. I'm good for 2-3 shots, then have to wait for the barrel to cool down. It doesn't bother me for hunting, just want one shot and a follow up if I need one. Try letting the barrel cool down for a while and see if it goes back to center, and don't adjust the scope while the barrels hot.

Offline weavs150

• Forked
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2010, 09:42:37 AM »
sounds good to me i was moving my scope after a phew shots  i will try a diff aproach today ill shoot one and wait a while take another  and see what group i get thanks

FrankM

« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2010, 09:44:36 AM »
Sounds like the same thing my Ruger M77 30-06 does. The problem with mine is that when the barrel gets hot it goes off center. I'm good for 2-3 shots, then have to wait for the barrel to cool down. It doesn't bother me for hunting, just want one shot and a follow up if I need one. Try letting the barrel cool down for a while and see if it goes back to center, and don't adjust the scope while the barrels hot.
I agree your barrel is probably heating up and causing your shots to go off target.   The first shot is the one that counts.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal