Author Topic: Scents  (Read 1362 times)

Offline 44MAG

• Spiked
  • Nashua, NH
Scents
« on: Oct 24, 2010, 07:31:54 PM »
For those who use scents while hunting, what do you use and swear by? Something you know that was possitively responsible for luring in the deer. Whether it was a doe or buck, small or large, don't matter.

I have been using Code Blue "during the rutt" ever since it came out and have had pretty good luck getting deer to come in closer to my stand. Nothing that came charging in, but the deer where more comfortable and seemed much more relaxed. Picked up some "Deer Sense" by Deer Quest to try out. Those are the burning scents that smoke. Yesterday I tried a curiousity & a sex scent but didn't get any takers. Possibly nothing was down wind to catch a whiff of what I was offing. Waiting for the rutt to get going to try the Ruttrangous scent. During the rutt I will spray the bottom of my boots with the Buck Boom "doe in estrus"  and shubs, branches and what not on my way to my stand along my trial. I had to cut a trial to my stand because the mountian laural is so think where I hunt. The deer liked that a lot and started using the trial, least point of resistance makes for easy browsing while still in the cover! Last year I shot a nice eight pointer that had his nose in the air sniffing when I took him. May have been the buck boom, may have not.  Hard to know for sure unless he came in on my trail, which he didn't. He may have been trying to get down wind for a better whiff, who knows!

Just curious what you guy's like to use and why.

Thanks 44MAG

Mathews Monster XLR8 - 28" Draw / 65 lbs / 336 fps
Carbon Express Hunter - 250 & G5 - 100 gr Tekan
G5 - Optix XR2 Sights / Fuse Axium Stabilizer / QAD HD Rest
Scott Rhino XT Release / Bow Force Mapped

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Scents
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2010, 07:52:32 PM »
I will not use anything besides James Valley scents, reason why..... All my 130 inch or better bucks have been shot while it was out, whether they came to it or not I dont know and could care less I just know it gives me the confidence that when its out I will sit from dawn til dusk.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline newfound

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2010, 08:22:41 AM »
Tinks #69
During RUT only!

put a deposit down on another 8 pointer mount. Small like the 7 on the right.  Never picked it up, so taxidermist sold it.(oh well).
I left the one with only horns in the freezer too long while saving for the mount.  Another Oh well.  Kids college fund is more important.
My dad has a few of these as well.

I've seen pictures of some of AA's bucks.  I'd believe he's on to something as well.  Reviews seem to be impressive.

Anyone know where I can find the Knight&Hale wooden Grunt calls?(E-Z Grunter)  I can't find them locally anymore.
It's the only grunt call that has brought in HORNS for me, and all my K-n-H wooden calls are broken.  The tire tube rubber calls are too deep for 2 1/2 yr old deer, and the cheaper plastic calls (E-Z Grunter Plus) sound too fake.

NB
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2010, 09:08:14 AM by newfound »

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2010, 12:52:55 PM »
not sure where you can still get the k ad h one but the primos hardwoods grunter is a nice call too. I think its pretty much the same thing. I personally love my primos buck roar but it is definatley a lot deeper sounding then I think you might be looking for.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal