Author Topic: feeding deer and turkeys  (Read 5017 times)

Offline hunter13

• Forked
feeding deer and turkeys
« on: Apr 20, 2005, 05:30:48 PM »
just wanted to ask ya all about how you feel about feeding deer and turkeys i my self dont belve in it but all the other land owners around where i hunt do it and draw the deer and turkeys  off the land i hunt  and these people wont let anyone hunt there land  i was seeing like 100 turkeys every day then one day i saw one of the other land owners go by with a load of corn  2 days later not a turkey  seen  it just is frustrateing to me because i dont think its right but  i dont know

hunter13

Offline spiker2

• 6 Pointer
Re: feeding deer and turkeys
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2005, 08:23:43 AM »
i beleave in food plots not just dumping corn or any other type of bag food in a pyle to attract turkeys or deer. it is against the law to put such food sources out during the seasons.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2005, 10:05:47 AM »
in new york its illegal period just ask judge colburn in cheektowaga im not sure about turkey but putting out any material to attract deer to feed is illegal

In New York, it is illegal to feed deer by putting out any material that attracts deer to feed.

There are five exceptions to the rule:

1.  Agricultural crops including wildlife food plots.
     2.  Distribution of food to livestock.
     3.  Distribution of food to captive deer.
     4.  Cutting of trees and brush.
     5.  Scientific research, wildlife damage abatement, and wildlife population
          reduction programs, but only under a permit issued by DEC.

directly from the dec website

Offline shrub

• 6 Pointer
  • out looking for the big one
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2005, 10:51:10 AM »
i beleave in food plots not just dumping corn or any other type of bag food in a pyle to attract turkeys or deer. it is against the law to put such food sources out during the seasons.

in V.T the rule book nothing about using corn,appels,pumkins etc. to attract deer duringt the seson but it is eligial to use any product with salt to attract dear during the hunting season,with bear it is illigal to use any attratant at all
I didnt reach the top of the food chain to be a vegatarin!!!!

Offline carphunter

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2005, 01:22:34 PM »
Here in PA we can't hunt over bait but we can feed in the off season. If they aren't doing anything illegal then it's ok. If it wern't for private land owner's here taking care of the deer heard's( i.e. suplemental feeding and selective harvest) there wouldn't be much here to hunt. That's my opinion
       Jim
AKA carpcatcher

Offline hunter13

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 2005, 03:10:43 PM »
yera but these people here in vermont feed  grain  to   the food plots wouldnt bother me but when you see someone that hunts on this persons land complain that all he has seen are scinny deer  and to try to tell him it mite be something to do with feeding them he gets mad and  leaves  so i dont knowe im thinking about asking the land owner where i hunt if i can put in a small food plot

hunter13

Offline spiker2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2005, 07:09:24 AM »
he probably will let you since it does improve his property to some degree and he knows that you will respect it and take care of it. :)

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Spiked
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 12:24:10 PM »
Planting food for them is great, as is maintaining apple trees (releasing, pruning wild trees)  I don't like to see baiting or feeding though.  I bet ya that there will be an end to that during this legislative session though, with CWD in the New York herd.

JMO,

LBD

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 12:27:41 PM »
end to what cwd or baiting because baiting is already illegal in NY

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Spiked
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 12:31:46 PM »
Oh, sorry... end to feeding and baiting.  Hunter 13 and I are from VT.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2005, 12:33:51 PM »
im not as big fan of baiting because i have to work hard to find my deer and when i see a guy with a 150 class deer because he spent extra money to put out a pile of corn on opening day is annoying but where legal more power to you

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2005, 04:35:41 PM »
I don't agree with the baiting of any animal, any time (except fish ;)).
I know it's legal in some regions for some species, but I will have no part of it.
Has anyone ever heard of fair chase? How easy would it be to bait a human?
I don't think it would be too hard. Think about that, guys.
Food plots are ok. Their purpose is to sustain the population during hard times and keep them healthy.

JMO  8)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 05:28:35 PM by devil-man »
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2005, 04:49:11 PM »
my nephew has a video game called deer hunters revenge its deer hunting people there calls are stuff like i have a hot fresh pizza and who left these playboys all over and is that pam anderson naked over there lol wouldnt be hard to bait us at all

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal