Author Topic: new deer seasons in new york  (Read 10488 times)

Offline Corporal Punishment

• 8 Pointer
Re: new deer seasons in new york
« Reply #30 on: Sep 22, 2009, 01:24:03 PM »
I am very much against antler restrictions. It isn't the states place to tell anyone what they can or can't harvest. There are plenty of private areas in NY that practice antler restrictions, and that's the way it should be. If you don't want to shoot a 1.5 year old buck, don't, but don't try telling me I can't let my girlfriend or nephew shoot a spike or fork for their first buck. How many of the pro antler restriction people didn't start by shooting younger bucks? The earn a buck tag program would work fine if it was needed, but if I can't pull a doe tag every year then there are more people trying to shoot does than does to harvest, right?

Good point,that would mean everybody gets a free doe tag.... :-\

It would not matter either way on antler restrictions,I already practice it by not shooting small buck.But yes it could/would hurt the new hunters.In PA their AR is a joke,they allow junior/disabled hunters to tag the small bucks.So hunters just shoot whatever they want anyway and put there kids or other peoples disabled tags on them anyway.Believe me with alot of people not even seeing a deer,there is plenty willing to tag any deer down there.

Another thing is some will be left to rot in the woods if they are mistake killed.I mean how can ya count points when a deer is on the run,they will shoot first count points later.

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #31 on: Sep 22, 2009, 01:35:58 PM »
But isn't that where education comes in? A good hunter will not shoot a running deer. its getting in to semantics here. No matter what is done there will be people who take bad shots and jack deer. But not everybody does it. If you base your opinion thinking that the woods are a muck with poachers and idiots then yes nothing should be done. The average hunter however is smarter than that, and would follow the regulations put in place. I also think the problem is that You can not please everybody, But that being said there should be some sort of compromise. I believe there are certain zone that should have earn a buck. In others (like mine 4A) there does not seem to be enough of a population for that, so implement an AR of 3 points on one side. there will always be jerks in the woods. I say report them if you see them. Don't let them get away with it.

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #32 on: Sep 22, 2009, 01:39:55 PM »
A good hunter doesn't shoot running deer,your kidding right???? :o

We push the bush here,we shoot running deer.I could just imagine you walking to your stand and jump a 12 point and say to yourself cant shoot till he stops (witch would be in the next county)!!!! ;D

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #33 on: Sep 22, 2009, 02:04:20 PM »
I look for good shot placement. I will not shoot a running deer. I have walked up enough times on deer that have been shot at while running. Most still alive with butt shots and busted backs. Most time the hunters shooting at them don't even realize they hit the deer and just leave. I have had to put many out of their misery. Good hunter do not shoot at running deer.

halfrack33

« Reply #34 on: Sep 22, 2009, 02:39:55 PM »

You are saying what I am saying.It will work on exclusive huge plots of private land,where it is strictly controlled.Wont work in the real world where where there is no control of your neighbors hunting practices.Why pass on a 2 or 3 year old when it goes over the hill to be shot by another hunter?

Real world control?? its called laws buddy, if it's a law you follow it unless you're in that elite class of dirtbags that doesn't think you have to follow the laws. The whole state would be the "plot" and everyone and he deer would benefit. Yeah laws will be broken, all laws are but the majority will follow them. Just like you aren't supposed to jack deer, it still happens. And responsible hunters don't shoot at running deer, its called proper shot placement, clean kills, and responsibility. Ever hear that "knowing whats beyond your target" also? Can't do it swinging a gun. That's why i don't hunt in the southern zone, too many idiots shooting at everything. Not everyone, but plenty of them
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2009, 02:42:23 PM by halfrack33 »

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #35 on: Sep 22, 2009, 03:04:03 PM »
I have let every decent buck I've seen so far walk/run away because I didn't have good shots at them (except the one I missed). I've never met an ethical hunter that shot a running buck because it was to big.

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #36 on: Sep 22, 2009, 03:15:26 PM »
Worlds biggest Typical buck in the world was shot on the run "Milo Hanson Buck",im sure you would of let that run away as well.And the world record holder is an unethical hunter then in your opinions.... ???

halfrack33

« Reply #37 on: Sep 22, 2009, 03:24:42 PM »
he made an unethical shot, yes

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #38 on: Sep 22, 2009, 03:27:56 PM »
Worlds biggest Typical buck in the world was shot on the run "Milo Hanson Buck",im sure you would of let that run away as well.And the world record holder is an unethical hunter then in your opinions.... ???

Yup.

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #39 on: Sep 22, 2009, 04:21:58 PM »
I think you guys watch to much TV hunting shows!!!! ;D

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #40 on: Sep 22, 2009, 04:28:38 PM »
im not gonna lie my second 7pt was on the run chasing a doe and wouldnt stop i followed him through the scope for probably 50 yards before i squeezed i shot three times twice on the run and once standing still.....i hit him both times on the run and missed him standing still  :-X......well i was certain there was no one around i was on a mountain on private property and i knew where everyone was....there are certain situations i believe when you can take a shot at a deer on the run......here is the result.......

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #41 on: Sep 22, 2009, 04:35:10 PM »
Maybe now I know why you complain about not seeing big buck.You guys sit on stand and hope a big buck will walk out to ya giving you a perfect shot? :-\

The biggest of the big buck have lived through numerous hunting seasons and survived them.Learning as he goes that his smaller buddy's don't come back when they show themselves in daylight.They will go totally nocturnal,and you have to go to where they are by driving them out.And if your lucky enough to even get that buck in your sights (running or not) you better take that shot or you prolly aint getting another one of him!!!!! ;)

You guys keep sitting on your stumps dreaming,maybe you will find a dumb 5 year old buck.... :-\

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #42 on: Sep 22, 2009, 04:40:01 PM »
Nice buck Seven,nothing wrong with shooting running deer.I never even heard anyone say it was unethical to do that before now.

Offline bucksnort

• 8 Pointer
  • mealworm on the shanty
« Reply #43 on: Sep 22, 2009, 04:58:23 PM »
the deer herd isn't going to improve on its own something should be done even if its not right, but how would you know if AR or earn a buck tag isn't going to work unless you try,
it was stated that in PA the AR didn't work out but every one i talked to from PA loves the restictions and said that the bucks did improve in size, in say allow minerale licks, make AR with at least 3points on a side and have more doe tags, espically in parts of the northern zone where you can't even shoot a doe except with a bow or muzzleloader
oh yeah buzzy...he's a racker

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #44 on: Sep 22, 2009, 05:15:05 PM »
the deer herd isn't going to improve on its own something should be done even if its not right, but how would you know if AR or earn a buck tag isn't going to work unless you try,
it was stated that in PA the AR didn't work out but every one i talked to from PA loves the restictions and said that the bucks did improve in size, in say allow minerale licks, make AR with at least 3points on a side and have more doe tags, espically in parts of the northern zone where you can't even shoot a doe except with a bow or muzzleloader
agreed! now lets get these ideas to someone who can make the change for us.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal