Author Topic: the "unsuccessful"storys thread  (Read 5966 times)

Offline SLED_NECK

• Forked
  • Shoot em again he's still runnin with 3 legs
the "unsuccessful"storys thread
« on: Apr 20, 2009, 07:38:25 PM »
i thought if its ok with  drobertsinMaryland and WhiteTail Madness
to start one for the not so lucky hunters if its not feel free to delete it

[IMG]

Offline SLED_NECK

• Forked
Re: the "unsuccessful"storys thread
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2009, 08:20:07 PM »
well i guess ill be the first,
wensday-well opening Morning me and my brother head out to the woods before school we get out to the blind about 5:15 get all set up and eat a little waiting for the first gobble of a tom well onegobbled at about 5:30 or so i waited a littlebit and gave some soft purrs and clucks to tell him where i am and 2 toms answerthen i Hear a another hen up the hill from us the toms are gobbling like crazy now so they fly off the roost and that "hen" starts clucking and purr like a mad man i later walked up to a tresspasser andgave his a talken to, after i ruined his hunt lol. went outthat nightand didnt even hear a gobble.
Thursday-went out to the blind only to find that they roosted in a different place last nite about 400 hundreds to my left needless to say it was a unsuccessful day we moved the blind close to the new roosting site before we went to school.
Friday-well we got up late and when we got close to the blind we found that a tom had roosted in the tree that we set up the blind under so i put my brother on the trail that they usual go on and i go in the Field in case he come up there, well he comes out in to the Field about 200 yards from me so i start running towards him with my gun up let off a shoot BOOOOM miss run some more BOOOOm miss the bird finally fly up and that was the end of that day.
Saturday-went to my uncles Friends house get set up hear lots of gobbles and a gun shot from across the road, again unsuccessful.
sunday-as day of hunting plan to hunt all day we get up p and there was a lite rain no worries we have a groundblind in the truck we get all set up an only hear 3 gobbles so we rive over to some other land see some turkeys on my relatives land pull in to ask if we can hunt and he was at Chucho already s we drove around and hunted some more with no luck, we decided to hunt my place hear alto of gobbles at a distance that were getting closer e hunted til 8:30 no luck
o well we still have 3rd and 4the season tags so im not so bummed i guess

[IMG]

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2009, 08:33:24 PM »
aint havin much luck are ya... Just to get this strait... You tried runnin down a turkey??
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline SLED_NECK

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2009, 06:56:21 AM »
aint havin much luck are ya... Just to get this strait... You tried runnin down a turkey??
yes i did now im kinda a big guy 6'2 200lb and i dont usually run that fast but i think that was the fastest i have ever ran in my life lol my one of my faster friends did it and had success so i thought i would try it lol

[IMG]

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2009, 09:19:45 PM »
dont feel bad about being unsuccessful doing that trust me ive done it many times and failed also.......when all else fails run at em  ;D

Offline Adam Bomb

• Forked
  • In Pursuit
« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2009, 08:42:47 AM »
Well, we got pounded with rain on Sunday and Monday and early Tuesday. Woods was pretty flooded on the south end of the woods by opening moring as we had already recieved over an inch of rain Sunday. Turkeys took notice and did not follow the same regiment they have been for the past week. I have tried a couple of different angles on these birds, but so far, no such luck as theyre now using a property i do not have permission to hunt. I cant go around the backside without busting the roost, thus my dilemna. Couple those issues with them being extremely henned up and its proven to be tougher than i thought it would be and the first time in quite awhile that i didnt have a bird down opening morning. So, i think until it dries up a bit, im gonna go hit another farm and some fresh birds.

On a side note, Dad killed a gorgeous bird on one of our other farms opening morning. 11 1/2" beard, 1 1/4" spurs. Not sure on his weight, but he was very heavy. I think he rivals last years 27# bird. Great turkey.

I came home yesterday for some funeral services, but im heading back down there shortly. Cant wait to get back after them.

Good luck when you get out.
Ya gotta kill em before ya can grill em!
Adam

Offline corny13

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2009, 05:28:35 PM »
Well I hunted this mourning.  Got out a bit late it was 6am  when I left and already getting a bit light out to the east.  When I got to my farm the turkeys had already left the roost.  I set up my Double bull blind and decoys waited 20 min and started calling.  A REALLY big tom came in about 50 yds and just hung up, would gobble everytime I yelped.  Tried purring and he finally came it to 20 yds, broad side shot.  Now after bringing my bow back from Mexico.. I had not shot it....duh!  Figured it wasnt a scope like a rifle... It had shot right on after the trip down.  This was one of the biggest Tom's Ive seen on my place with a estimated 12 inch beard (it was hitting the ground).  Well my bow doesnt shoot right on anymore.....at least it didnt this am.  I shot what I thought was a perfect kill shot and the arrow went right under him.  He moved off another 10yds before I could get another arrow notched and ready.  He was walking away from me so I  used the second pin, raiised it to his head.... shot right over  his head. :(  Ok the truth... I just shot the bow in the basement and its right on.. must have been Turkey fever! ;D  Well there tommorrow but they are saying we might get 5" of snow. Maybe Ill take the muzzelloader out in the am.(legal in ND)

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2009, 09:16:59 PM »
Still gettin snow over there huh corny?? Im waiting for the weather to clear up and coming your way to work for awhile.  TOo bad on the bird! I CANT wait to get my bow out and chase some toms!  We've closed the distance on a few birds this week, 2 misses, and no connections.  My season starts a week from monday (may 4th)
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 03:06:59 AM »
well let me fill you in on my season so far opening day was rainy and windy....i got setup and waited for it to get a little late and made a call and had 5 toms answer me and they were all within 75 yards behind me!!!! let me tell you that got the blood rushing.....at about 530 they flew down into the field in front of me about 6o yards away with 7 hens......it was 4 big toms and one jake they were struttin and chasin each other around but they never got closer than about 50 yards and i didnt end up getting a shot....i know it sounds like some crazy tale but it was the best hunt ive ever had without getting a bird.....next day i take my cousin out and make three calls and hes got a bird dead before 6am....he came running into the decoy 9 1/2 inch beard about 20 lb range and 1 inch spurs....after that rain rain rain.....heading out right now wish me luck  ::)

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 06:39:22 AM »
Hunted 13.5 hrs opening morning of michigan's last turkey season.  Never hunted the same farm in that time period.  Closest we go to a bearded bird was about 60 yrds from a tom that i snuck up on, if ida had a gun i woulda whacked em, but i was stuck watching and callin with the stick and string in my hand.  I will be taking a few days off from turkey hunting to find some morels, and pattern the big boy that i am after. I aint kiddin, this bird's gotta have at least 20 inches of beard, 3 beards, big ol mc nasty turkey!

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 11:14:47 AM »
Last day for the home woods.Mass ends at noon. took 2 of the boys out ,the 15 year old went to setup in our usual ground blind and i took the 12 year old with me as he can't hunt alone. set up in the dark at opposit end of a big field/pit area. had a gobbler thundering off at dawn to us and the rain started. the bird flew down and gobbled off into the woods right out of hearing. and no other activity,i called the boy that was alone and asked him if he had heard or seen any and he said he only saw a "guy" walking around and that he was checking out both of our decoys with bino's. well i got out of there, picked him up and we went to check for birds at a couple of other spots,no replys so we were headed home.pull the truck into the yard and there is a tom strutting in a field behind the house about 1/4 mile off. go figure. we come up with a plan to try to skirt the field in the woodline and get as close as we can without spooking him. we manage to pull this off,crawling a good bit of the way to the woodline in the rain. finally get about 100 yds off or so and i can now see he has a hen with him. i set the boy up and i back off a few yards and start to call. the tom starts our way,comes over a little rise and hangs up right there. gobbling his head off at me,strutting back and forth. but he wont come in,god i wish i could have gotten a decoy out in front of us. this bird was big!!!,beard almost touching the ground and the brightest colors i have ever see on a bird. he hung right there for 20 min. finally he noticed his girl friend was drifting off and worked his way back to her. they went back into the hardwoods away from us. we picked up and bade a beeline for the next spot they should have been but an hour later no birds. we head back to the original field soaked to the bone calls all wet,binos all wet and fogged up and there is a bird way off that we cant tell what it is but its a turkey feeding. set up on it with a hen and jake decoy this time. the only thing i have to call with that will work is a mouth call and i am not very confident in my ability with it but here goes.i call and the birds a hen,she starts yelping and cutting and comes marching up over the hill right to us like her tails on fire.she gets to the decoys,still as vocal as i have ever seen a hen.and finally off she goes back to the field sputtering and clucking away. thats it for massachusetts for us. it diddnt help that it has poured every day this week but it was a great day and a great season spending time with my wife and kids in the turkey woods. Look out maine im coming and i got a tag to fill!!
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

upstatehunter

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 11:30:10 AM »
bogmanjr, Sounds like you have the right stuff when it comes to hunting. It isn't always about the kill, but the experience and time spent with family and friends in the woods.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 11:48:08 AM »
I have to say i love to hunt,i dont care what it's for and i like to think i hunt hard.i am fortunate to have an employment arrangement that gives me a great deal of time off at the right time. i have shot lots of game,big and small  all around new england. and i get the biggest rush from seeing a kid( or my bride this year )succeed,just to see the smile and thrill it is for them is better than if i did it myself. my oldest son is almost 21 now. when he was 13 i had a deer i knew was in a thicket here on the farm,when he got off the school bus i told him lets go hunting i think i know where there may be a buck. put him on the run  i circled around kicked it out to him. he made a perfect shot on a nice forkhorn that was one of the best days i ever had, i thank my dad all the time for what he did with me growing up.i want to be him someday.

Take your family hunting and you'll never have to hunt for your family!!!!

Thanks for compliment upstate
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 11:42:14 AM »
Almost ended it this morning...i roosted 3 big toms last night and did not see a single hen....got set up this a.m. and heard the first gobble then nothing for like 15 min....no answers on the call or nothing.....at daybreak i see a bird fly down into the field just on the other side of the hill...then i hear the dreadful sound of a hen....here she comes calling away right up to my decoy....had her at about 10 yards figured shed draw the toms out....they started gobbling off to my left and then i hear another hen chime in over where they were gobbling from, then another and another and another.....turned out there were 5 hens!!!i didnt see a single one last night...looked over to my left and about 60 yards away under a treestand in the woods are the toms full strut never came any closer...had 3  hens total in shooting range...go figure....pretty neat hunt though i got to hear every call imaginable that a turkey could make and had some hens up close and personal with my decoy.

upstatehunter

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 05:01:11 AM »
That kind of hunt can be more informative than shooting one in ten minutes.
Hearing all the calls a hen makes is invaluable as a hunter. Also allot of fun, good job, seems you realized that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal