Author Topic: Shortest hunt EVER!  (Read 2493 times)

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
Shortest hunt EVER!
« on: Apr 20, 2009, 08:02:47 AM »
Opening mornin for 1st turkey season this mornin... Wet, rainy, kinda cold and a little wind. Less than perfect conditions but we're on our way out there anyways.  SNeak it to try and find the birds roosted, no gobbles, still early, walk a little futher, finally find em, i spotted em against the horzon...  Birds start gobblin, LIKE CRAZY!!!!!  Fly off the roost going away from us, 4 hens fly down right in our laps, then along comes a new tommy, 80 yrds through brush too far, then come 3 jakes in to about 15 ft, they're gobblin like mad men!!!  Finally i can hear the toms that worked away from us getting louder and louder, then i see 2 hens come runin up the 2 track right too us.... Perfect!  Not long after the hens passed up by at 10 yrds, i see 4 head coming along with 4 swingin beards!  3rd bird was struttiin so i told dad to kill the 3rd bird, got em to put his head up, and dad smashed em.  40 yrd shot, thing never flopped.  Dead turkey by 7:30 am, and at 8am we're drinkin coffee and eatin donuts!!! NICE!

came out with a 10" beard, 1 inch spurs, about 23 pds. Nice west michigan gobbler!

Got dad his bird, now i will still be calling for guys until my season opens in 2 wks.  good luck fellas!
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline Bunk

• Spiked
  • The spirit of the wild lives on!!
    • photobucket
Re: Shortest hunt EVER!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2009, 08:06:07 AM »
wow!! now that's the way to start off the season!! nice pics
"The beast is dead! Long live the beast!"

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2009, 08:10:53 AM »
10-4 bunk! HOpefully its a sign to a good season for myself also!  This is the 3rd year in a row we've killed birds on opening day.  But this hunt takes the cake in shortest hunt ever! Birds were only on the ground for 20-30 minutes before we were takin pics! lol
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2009, 08:40:39 AM »
Nice job,we are still a week away from opening day.took the boy scouting this am.saw 11 with 3 toms on the first stop,and 3 hens at the second spot. got 2 blinds built and now were counting down.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »
Congrats on the gobbler.
icefishinman88 on the shanty

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2009, 09:55:22 AM »
Nice bird. Congrats way to start off the season.

Offline Adam Bomb

• Forked
  • In Pursuit
« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2009, 08:48:31 AM »
Congrats to your pops...Nice bird!

Those quick hunts are really fun. One year i woke up late, hurried to the spot. Stuck my decoy in the ground and stepped in the ditch. As i came up the ditch bank and was just setting down a tom came out about 75 yds from me. I just layed down on my back in the tall grass. Gave three yelps and the came my way. When he got to the dekes i just sat up and plastered him. Total hunt was less than 5 minutes. Talk about an instant adrenalin rush!

Good luck on your hunt WTM
Ya gotta kill em before ya can grill em!
Adam

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal