Author Topic: Grunt call success !!!!  (Read 1664 times)

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
Grunt call success !!!!
« on: Nov 21, 2008, 01:36:33 PM »
Well after having a very wet, uneventful opening day, Sunday turned out a little bit better. My Dad & I got into the woods around 6:30. We talked on the radio at 7:00 and I told him that I had just got to the tree I wanted to be in and hooked up my climber, he was in his ladder stand. I proceeded to climb up my tree, hook my fanny pack around it, put in my screw in holder and hooked up my safety belt and reload my gun. I figured I had made an awful lot of noise getting in but oh well.

In  the last North American Whitetail, there was an article about how deer vocalize during the rut, I had just read it Friday night. So I took out my grunt call, hit 4 grunts, 3 doe blats, and 3 more grunts just like the article said the guy has heard actual deer make while breeding. All of the sudden I hear the leaves behind me going crazy. As it was windy out Sunday I didn't think an awful lot about it but turned around anyway. About 120 yards below me in the bowl was a sapling getting thrashed !!!!! I looked down there and saw the deer. I picked up my rifle and instantly saw the horns. Because this was directly behind me, I was holding free hand and the tree was swaying a bit. I took out my grunt tube again and hit 3 more grunts. This buck picked his head up, looked my way and came on a dead run towards me. He stopped at 65 yards quartering to me. Well the '06 barked and he went in a pile!!!!! 1 well placed neck shot took out his heart.  My Dad gets on the radio and asked me if everything was alright? I said yes, I have one down, why. He said because it was 7:13 and thought something went wrong reloading my rifle when I got into the tree.  13 minutes from having my stand at the base of the tree to having this deer down, I couldn't believe it.
Turns out to be a 145lb 7 pointer.

I've never had any success that I could say was directly related to a grunt call until this past weekend. Now I'm a believer.

FrankM

Re: Grunt call success !!!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2008, 02:37:46 PM »
Nice buck! 

Offline caroga kid

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2008, 04:26:50 PM »
Nice buck...
h=100 height=100]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/deposit/Blood%20in%20the%20Truck%201_zps1mwil74t.jpg[/img

halfrack33

« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2008, 04:46:01 PM »
awsome story! and deer as well. maybe ill have to try that tomorrow up north

upstatehunter

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2008, 04:49:29 PM »
Called in three different bucks this morning, one six and two spikes. Had a blast with them all I had to do was grunt twice and they would turn around and come back in on a run. The six would come out to the edge but just look from there.
Way to go TR, you have had a great season this year. Congrats and hope you continue to have success.

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2008, 06:02:33 PM »
That was a great story and a nice buck. I like those early short hunts sometimes too LOL

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2008, 07:19:02 PM »
Way to go TR, you have had a great season this year. Congrats and hope you continue to have success.
I've had an almost dream season thank you Upstate. I've seen 10 different bucks in the woods this season.Now the rest of my season is dedicated to getting a buck to go past my 70 year old Dad. my father in-law and my son so he can get his first.

Offline heymax

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2008, 09:56:36 PM »
Congratulations!!!!!!!!! 2002 is when I had my first success with a grunt call. I had just sat down only a half mile in back of my house after work and I blew my grunt 3 times and did a rattling sequence. I didn't have much time with only about 45 minutes to go so I only waited a few minutes and I blew my grunt again and i heard a crash and in comes this 7 point buck(125 lbs) He stopped at 35 yards looking all around and I stuck one through his lungs. He went about 40 yards and retired. I remember looking at my grunt and saying " hey it actually works". Max

FrankM

« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2008, 11:26:55 AM »
My grunt call works great.  I called in 14 turkeys with it Saturday.  2 weeks ago my friend talked me into putting out one of those Tinks scent bottles (with the wick you pul out).  That worked great too. A red squirrel came up and started huffing on the bottle.  He snorted on it for at least an hour.  No deer though.   I should leave all those toys home so I have less junk to carry in the woods with me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal