Author Topic: Steuben County  (Read 5038 times)

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
Steuben County
« on: Nov 02, 2004, 06:07:56 AM »
Anyone here live in Steuben? Hunt or have a camp there?

The reason I ask is this......
I  have a camp near Arkport. Every year we see tons of doe all summer, not many bucks.......until the rut and into gun season........then we take a good number of bucks....

For the last 3 years we have taken 5 buck and 1 doe each year. 1 or 2 of the bucks in the bow season.
This year I have not spent quite as much time there in the pre-season,  but I have NOT seen hardly a doe!
I did see 13 trophy class bucks in 2 days of pre-season scouting

Now that bow season has arrived, I have hunted 7 days and seen a total of 2 does and 1 buck, none while hunting. Normally you can't spend a day there without seeing 15-20 deer.

The number of DMU permits was cut drastically. Is it just me or do you guys think the population in Steuben has been reduced that drastically? I know the number of permits have been high for the last few years and the last 2 winters have been bad.........but Steuben has always been the king!

What are you guys seeing?
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Offline BuckShotJon

• Forked
Re: Steuben County
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2004, 07:17:44 AM »
I do not hunt that area.

But from what you are saying it sounds like the doe to buck ratio may be close to where it should be for that area. That was the whole intent for the states new system and how doe tags are issued.

If you are seeing that many trophy class deer it sounds like things are working. I am just speculating from the outside looking in.

Jon

Offline henz

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2005, 09:50:05 AM »
We used to have access to 100 acres near Woodhull..Always tons of does and a few bucks mixed...The only thing I would say is that if you have Amish near that land they coulod be taking the deer all year long..

Offline Icedude

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2005, 09:30:19 PM »
Are we talking Indiana? if so that is my neck of the woods.

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2005, 08:53:06 PM »
Is it legal for the Amish to hunt out of season?

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2005, 05:39:54 AM »
Icedude - NY.

Is it legal for the Amish to hunt out of season?

Nope, same season as the rest of us unless they get nuisance permits for their farms. 

Funny the timing fo the question....  We just picked up 777 pellets for one of my mom's Amish neighbors in Seneca County a few weeks ago.
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline fastribs85

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2005, 08:54:40 PM »
here in pa its the same way i think but a few years back all of a sudden the deer went missing here the amish were shooting the deer canning them and selling it as beef at the local farmers market they went to jail and the deer came back well guess what the deer are missing again so you know who is gettin the look at now

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal