Author Topic: astro gps by garmin  (Read 4000 times)

Offline brooks

• Nubbie
astro gps by garmin
« on: Feb 07, 2008, 09:55:21 AM »
I am a coon hunter from Chenango co N.Y.  I got a garmin astro dog tracker this year and I really like it . It is less money than other trackers plus it is a gps. Brooks

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
Re: astro gps by garmin
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2008, 12:37:13 AM »
Yeah, These things are awesome, I sold my QTR 6000, and I only use this now, there's no comparison between the old wands and the new GPS system, I do think a person needs to have the map software chip in there for it to be used to its full potential.
THE GUIDE

Offline brooks

• Nubbie
Re: astro gps by garmin
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2008, 01:50:17 PM »
after using the garmin astro throughout one season I would like to note that the dc20 transmitter is not up to the demands of coon hunting.I have broken many antennas and garmin stands behind their product,they keep sending new ones including a low profile,which broke on the first time out.Also I would like to note that their recommendation to use a dummy collar to counterbalance the transmitter could be fatal to a good hunting dog.I see they have come out with a new model  collar-transmitter Dc30 and I think they should do a recall on the old model.I just ordered a dc30 and I am hoping it is better than the 20 .when all goes right the astro is very good,but when the antenna breaks it shows your dog at the spot the last signal was sent .I looked for a half hour one night in thick brush thinking the worst had happened.He finally treed within hearing and the transmitter was still on him.Brooks

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal