Author Topic: Pre-Season Scouting  (Read 8097 times)

Offline Fishboy899

• Spiked
  • Nothing better than bow season!
Pre-Season Scouting
« on: Aug 12, 2004, 02:46:56 PM »
Has anyone been scouting there hunting land in NY and what have you seen?  I have been out and looks like there deer are following the same paths they did last year.  Follow trails from corn field to the bedding area.  Later this month its time to put the stands up I can't wait its liek a little kid waiting for christmas. :D

Offline BuckShotJon

• Forked
Re: Pre-Season Scouting
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2004, 10:27:39 AM »
I have ton a little. But have been working and cleaning for the most part the new house we bought.

I am really looking forward to this season as I own close to 20 acres now. Its about the nicest 20 acres for habitat that I have seen. It has it all, pines, hardwoods, swamp and lines by corn. There is also a supply of fruit trees I have including a apple tree that is producing apples at this time.

I have a stand location picked out based on the funnel of the woods. There is a decent amount of sign there and it should be interesting.

Offline dogfish

• Spiked
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2004, 07:41:43 AM »
I have been doing some scouting in the southern zone around where I live.  This wet year has put out a lot of food, I swear every wild fruit tree and bush is full.
Have seen a couple of bucks out of velvet already.  This seems real early to me?  Anybody elts seeing antlers without velvet yet?
Eric

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2004, 07:50:08 AM »
I've been to camp twice in the last 9 days. Once to take in firewood and mow the lawn/parking area, and once to build an early season arhery treestand.

They say the population is down... but I saw 2 does and 13 different bucks!!!!

One tall spike
One tall 6 pt
One wide 6pt
Eight nice typical 8 or 9 pts
One high, wide symmetrical 10 pt
One 10 point as thick as my wrist!!

Put that together with the high, very wide 14 point monster I watched all last year......I'm thinking its gonna be a great year.
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Offline Fishboy899

• Spiked
« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2004, 12:01:36 PM »
Venisonman,  I wish I was huntign where you are.  A 14 pt buck that is amazing.  I know there is a 10 pt still roaming around on the land I hunt and hopefully some bigger ones also. ;D

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2004, 10:08:57 PM »
Yeah that 14 point was the most beatiful deer I have ever seen. Saw him 7 or 8 times last summer and fall. Have not seen him this year, but I've been there twice this summer. Spring and summer of 2003 i was there every 2 weeks. We all shoot bucks and does, but for some reason we see alot more bucks during the seasons. So far we've hunted there 2 years and 6 deer taken each year.....each year 5 bucks and 1 doe! Happy to say with 9 hunters and 12 deer in 2 years, I've harvested 4, including a large 9 pt. God Bless Steuben County!
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Offline Fishboy899

• Spiked
« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2004, 10:20:46 PM »
Nice Hopefully you get that 14 pt. this year.  Good Luck :)

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2004, 10:28:31 PM »
Thanks Fishboy! It would be nice to harvest him. However it is always a pleasure to just see or watch him. I like to think the longer it takes to get him, the more genetics he's passing on.

Offline Fishboy899

• Spiked
« Reply #8 on: Aug 18, 2004, 10:39:36 PM »
Yes that is true.  I've seen one 4 pt. this year while scouting was still in full velvet I dont think I would harvest him this year maybe the year after this.

Offline USMC130FE

• Forked
  • Harvesting the Old Doe's is sound management !!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2004, 04:02:11 PM »
I love the pre-season scouting.  Just wondering how many people use spotting scopes and Glasses for their scouting?  Or do most go walking through their  woods to look?  I prefer personally to use optics vice interrupting the areas I hunt.  Just wondering?

Steve

Offline reubenpa

• Forked
  • OH MY... I can't stop shaking!!!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 19, 2004, 05:51:18 PM »
that is some good bucks.. 14 pointer, I would pee myself if I saw a 14 pointer walking throught he woods in bow weason when I had my bow!!!

I saw two bucks this year whose antlers where past the ears, but both on  posted land that I have no access to..  gag   I will find a place to hunt.

I thik I might start scouting some state land soon just in case I can't find a private place close to here
Come on Archery season

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2005, 02:46:56 PM »
im always scouting my land during fishing season drives in the country walks with the mrs. and kids scouting is year round even during the season i see something new kids love to look for sheds and chase squirrels and i love to teach them new things

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal