Author Topic: duck calling  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Blaze Orange

• Forked
duck calling
« on: Sep 18, 2004, 09:23:41 PM »
anyone have any suggestions on how to better my duck calling.  Im just starting at it with no one to teach me.
never fails, when you need to take a leak you miss the big one.

Offline Coldfeet

• Nubbie
Re: duck calling
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2004, 04:21:46 PM »
Blaze Orange
If you wat to improve your duck calling, Get a tape for the VCR or better yet get one for your vehicle then you don't drive your family nuts when you practice. I used to drive to and from work with the duck call stuck on my lips for weeks. And every year weeks before the season I would practice all the time. Yea you look like a nut driveing down the road but it all pays off in the feild when you can call in those late season greenheads. Nothing beats a good single reed call but for a beginner a good double reed is the easiest to master no grunting through the call is needed to make good high balls quacks and feed chuckles. Spending over 100.00 is not needed to get a good call either, I have quite a few midrange priced calls that bring the ducks in quiet fine. Also youwill be amazed by how many guys in the feild sound like Donald Duck on their calls because they don't practice or don't know when to shut up and the ducks will still fly into your spread. Watch what the ducks are doing to your calls and if they want a lot of chatter then give it to them if they want it quiet give them quiet it varries day by day out their just pay close attention to the birds. Also spend a little money on a Pintail whistle they can give you a great hen Mallard call and any whistleing duck like Woodies, Teal, and Pintails. Keep your calls clean and learn how to tune them in the feild this will be a must on cold days. Once you get hooked on them you will find yourself buying many diffrent calls all of which will have diffrent tones then once you master the single reed they are the best most versitile call out their. If you hunt big open water with Divers on it even the regular call can be used to intice the divers into shooting range. Just remember practice practice practice.
Cold Feet

Offline Bobman

• 6 Pointer
  • Shoot him now, shoot him now!!!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2004, 08:27:17 AM »
Best thing to do is get a tape and practise every chance you get.  The business park I used to work at had a bunch of ponds nearby and at lunch I would go to the least crowded ones with a call and try to imitate the ducks that were at the pond.  They were mostly Mallards.  You would be surprised by how many different sounds they make.  I also learned a lot by paying attention to how they acted in different situations (i.e., weather, number of people, time of year, etc.).  The real key is practise though.
Their comin' right for us!

Offline Dogman

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2004, 09:44:19 AM »
Good advice so far,I would just add one thing,get yourself a tape recorder and take it with you out in your yard,to the marsh or where ever you practice and record yourself.Makes it easier to listen to you efforts and figure out what your doing right and wrong.The double reeds are the best for me,using the single reed with the grunting just gives me coughing fits,they are a lot more forgiving too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal