Author Topic: Buck Down!  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Adrock

• 6 Pointer
Buck Down!
« on: Nov 12, 2021, 05:28:27 AM »
Work calendar was pretty clear yesterday so I decided to sneak out for a morning hunt. Went in with the hope of seeing the big 8 I've been dreaming about since October. Checked the camera on when I got in there and it's been pretty quiet in that spot, not even a lot of doe activity. Not the bumper crop of acorns so I think they are traveling more for food. Haven't seen much buck sign other than a few sporadic scrapes in there either. It was a pretty quite morning for a while other than a few squirrels playing grab-ass that would mess with me a few times. I thought I heard something that sounded slightly different and more deer like. Peaked around the tree over my back shoulder and didn't see anything. Couple minutes later looked again and saw a deer. Saw it was a forkie and he was about 15 yds from me and I'm on the ground (opted for the ground for longer shot opportunities than I have out of the tree). He sat behind the tree for about 30 seconds and I ran through a couple scenarios in my head. This wasn't the big 8 I was hoping for but I asked myself if I'd be happy to shoot this 3 weeks from now with a pocket full of tags. The answer was a yes. However, if he went right there was no way i was going to swing around 270 degrees to get a shot with out him busting me. Instead he went left and walked right into an opening at 20 yds and that was that. The game isn't over yet, back to the bow to try and use up another tag, then off to the north woods of Maine for the muzzleloader week. Checked in at 120lbs.

Side note, why is it always cold except when I'd like to hang a deer? It was supposed to be below 40 last night and woke up to the garage at 48 degrees. Time to get him broken down and into the fridge.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: Buck Down!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2021, 05:33:46 AM »
Nice job.  Congratulations.
 Absolutely nothing wrong with that…👍👍
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2021, 08:45:59 AM »
Great job way to get out there!!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2021, 09:47:58 AM »
Atta boy! You’re right, it is always warm when you want to hang lol
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2021, 11:49:49 AM »
That'll do! Nice work.
Hope you find that big 8 to stick that bow tag on

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2021, 11:55:57 AM »
Congrats nice work. Yeah usually how it always is.  Looks like some cold temps coming for them you get another

Offline benny8

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2021, 03:13:25 AM »
Congrats! I converted an old working fridge to a deer cooler. When the temps are to warm to hang, I quarter it up and hang in the fridge. Good eating right there!

Offline Dirt23

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2021, 05:47:32 AM »
Congrats it's definitely more about meat they're all trophy's some just have bigger racks hope you quill the 8

Offline The 3Ps

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2021, 06:22:28 AM »
That works! Congratulations!!
patience, persistence, presentation

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2021, 11:26:54 PM »
Way to go congradulations