Author Topic: '06 Hunting accidents?  (Read 3573 times)

Offline Chainsaw

• Fawn
'06 Hunting accidents?
« on: Dec 08, 2006, 02:38:15 PM »
Does anyone know of any increase in the number of hunting accidents, (Shootings), in the Southern Zone areas that were previously shotgun and are now rifle?

My own personal opinion is that there will be a DECREASE in the number because most rifles are scoped and the shooter more capable of identifying his/her target more easily.

I am hearing arguments against this new rule from folks like the old Marine who claims WW11 kills of three miles with his trusty ol' Garand, to which I reply, "...yeah, right." any REAL information will be appreciated.

WEAR YER ORANGE, save your huntbuds the agony of explaining how they shot you by accident(?).

Offline Inwellb4light

• 6 Pointer
Re: '06 Hunting accidents?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2006, 03:32:10 PM »
actually i think the number went up this year from last year...last year i heard of maybe 1 or none which was surprising, but this year i have heard of far more hunting related accidents...i know for a fact there was a 16 year old boy from buffalo killed and a guy from the albany area shot in the stomach and wounded but not killed...not sure of the location but i also heard of a woman washing dishes at her kitchen sink and a bullet came through the window over the sink and hit her in the chest...... the 16 year old boy was wearing orange coveralls....those are the three i am 100% sure of and i know there are atleast a half dozen more that i havent gotten details or confirmation on.
"You can learn more about hunting deer with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life"  - Fred Bear

Offline deerslayer92163

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2006, 10:47:49 AM »
my mother had a slug come through her wall while standing at her sink she is surrounded by fields and lives 50 yds from the road there lucky i wasnt there i would have been slinging lead right back at them theres no excuse for ignorance when it comes to firearms by the time the cops got there it was kinda late

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2006, 06:46:35 AM »
Actually, there was an article on this during the summer. They found that areas in NY that were rifle had a decrease in hunting accidents over shot gun areas.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline mcully

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2006, 10:59:16 AM »
Too many guys pulling and praying. I hear way too many 5 shot volleys. Scope your slug gun and go with a fully rifled barrel and be amazed at how much better life can be for most situations in the shotgun zones.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2006, 11:04:38 AM »
An article in todays paper said there were 29 hunting accidents in NY, 18 of them related to deer hunting, and 1 fatality.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2006, 02:40:09 PM »
I just got the new NY Outdoor News today, and there's an article about it.
I think it said that the number of injuries is slightly up from last year, but the fatalities are down. (So far)
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2006, 01:49:36 PM by devil-man »
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2006, 05:19:07 PM »
most of the injuries are from climbing into and out of treestands.

Offline Corporal Punishment

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2006, 08:45:39 PM »
most of the injuries are from climbing into and out of treestands.

Yep,and other deaths are from heart attack...Its actualy a very safe sport if your in shape and not clumsy... ;D

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2006, 01:36:23 PM »
They say ping-pong is more dangerous then hunting, or is it just more injurys

Offline BigBuckTaker16

• 6 Pointer
  • It must be the "hat"
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2006, 05:47:57 PM »
There was one guy near me that got shot by his brother in law or some crap. They were from fortedward I believe, and shooting happened in stony creek.. The guys okay though, so thats good!
Iceshanty= AirManCam

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal