MHF US Northeast > Hunting Virginia
Bow season opens This Saturday....who's heading out?
(1/1)
duckey:
I'll be going next Wednesday.  Hopefully the temps start cooling down during the day.
hesseltine32:
Guy in work with is he hunts down in southern va
duckey:
I live in Williamsburg and hunt Chickahomony WMA.  Did some scouting this afternoon there, hot as crap, saw some old sign but saw no deer moving around.  Saw plenty of large spiders on there webs stretched across the paths.  Will be fun walking through those in the dark!
duckey:
Hunted Chickahomony WMA this AM until mid afternoon.  Got in just after sun up and got settled by about 7:45.  Had a doe scurry by me at 40 yards, thought there may be a buck chasing her but never saw anything behind her.  At about 10:30 I walked around a bit and found some great deer sign/trails.  Also saw 2 very fresh scrapes.  There were about 4 other hunters in this area.  Great warm rain free day to be in the woods.
duckey:
Does anyone in VA chat on this thread?  Been hunting the Chickahomony WMA quite a lot with the bow and the past 2 times with the muzzleloader.  Have gone to my usual spots and have found a good number of deer hold up in the thick stuff which makes stand hunting stuff.  I sat this afternoon till dark.  About 3:30 I had a large 4 point walk up behind me at 30 yards.  He saw me turn my head and trotted of.  About 4:30 I had deer moving all around me.  Had a doe walk past but no bucks came in again.  I have been using a Primos Lil can doe bleat and a grunt tube while hunting.  Both times it seems to draw them in but they are very quiet when they come.  The squirrels have been driving me nuts, pun intended.  Each one sounds like a deer to me.  The hunting traffic/pressure is picking up.  I have seen other hunters walk past me the past two times I have been out....hint, don't overlook the woods near the parking areas, find the thick stuff and sit if you can fine an area that affords a shooting lane, try using bleats or grunt tubes, hunt mid afternoon till sunset.   This has all been working for me, food luck.
Navigation
Message Index

Go to full version