Author Topic: weird things found/seen while hunting  (Read 52552 times)

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Re: weird things found/seen while hunting
« Reply #15 on: Oct 18, 2005, 02:08:24 PM »
More weird things found while hunting: Balloons with a index card tied to the bottom with a name and partial address because the ink ran. A wooden out house 2 miles in the deep woods not near a trail or road. No evidence of a camp near by.  A cow's skull on top a boulder in the Adirondacks by a cut in a cliff where steps were carved into the rock which led to a natural amplitheater out in the middle of nowhere.  The coolest thing I found was last year I found the wreckage of a Cessna aircraft that had crashed in the early 70's in the lower Adirondacks. half of the plane was gone, taken by people as "souveniers".
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline Wkules

• Forked
  • Always be sure of your target!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 24, 2005, 10:49:37 AM »
Quite a few years back I was hunting some property I had never been on before (of course I had permission) and came across a plumber's pipe vice with the stand attached cable locked to a tree. I was about 1/2 mile from the nearest road and 2 miles from any buildings. These things weigh in at about 30 lbs! Seemed a pretty strange thing to find in the middle of nowhere not to mentioned locked to a tree. When finished for the day I asked the farmer who owned the property about it. He said that his 13 year old son was carrying it to a friends house to use a couple of weeks earlier and got tired out carrying it so he locked it up and came home. Then he couldn't find it again! I took him to it the next day and he was very grateful to gert it back.
Nothing better than dawn in the field!

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #17 on: Oct 26, 2005, 12:00:31 PM »
We were hunting stateland a few years ago and came across a bucket that was up right with no lid and was filled with water and leaves. When we dumped it out,  a drowned red squirrel came out. He must of fell in and could not get out and drowned.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline SDpheasant

• Forked
« Reply #18 on: Oct 26, 2005, 04:59:22 PM »
do u think it was some kind of trap? ;D

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Oct 26, 2005, 06:11:11 PM »
maybe someone tossed a dead squirrel in a bucket that filled up with rain water ???
or if the squirrel had some cement on his paws it could be the squirrel mafia, i heard they are cracking down on nut thiefs ;D

Offline Big_Buck_Hunter

• Spiked
« Reply #20 on: Oct 27, 2005, 11:42:33 AM »
"Leave those nuts alone. I'm gonna make you an offer..." the partridge groused.  ;D

I once came upon a cow carcass during the winter and a possum was crawling out the "south end".  Nasty, nasty nasty. The possum was covered with everything "inside" the cow but I'm sure he was full!

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Oct 27, 2005, 03:13:04 PM »
BBH,
     Now that is weird! LMAO ;D

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2005, 07:24:51 PM »
This Saturday while hunting I watched a female turkey start chasing a button buck around a clover field. She then joined her flock and the flock started moving towards the button buck. That was too much for him and he high-tailed it out of there.

Offline susky fisher

• Nubbie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 22, 2005, 02:30:10 AM »
You mean he "Got the BUCK" outta there? ;D

Offline Bobman

• 6 Pointer
  • Shoot him now, shoot him now!!!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 22, 2005, 06:34:19 AM »
Opening day of deer season here in WNY I saw a pair of red squirrels doing the nasty!  They didn't even miss a beat when they fell off the log they were on!
Their comin' right for us!

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #25 on: Nov 22, 2005, 04:46:11 PM »
Opening day of deer season here in WNY I saw a pair of red squirrels doing the nasty!  They didn't even miss a beat when they fell off the log they were on!

i ice fish with a pair of red squirrels, i nicknamed them bob and bill ;D

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2005, 09:08:37 AM »
Ok I wasn't hunting when I saw this this past weekend but I thought it was pretty funny. I was driving home when I saw a buck grazing in a cut over corn field. I stopped to watch him and there was also a flock of snow geese in one corner of the field feeding also. As I was sitting there watching a flock of canadian geese landed in another corner of the field by the road. Then a flock of turkeys came out of the woods in the back of the field by the deer. He turned and went back into the woods. The geese all turned and were watching the turkeys while the turkeys were all watching the geese. Pretty soon all three flocks were eyeing each other. It looked like a street fight getting ready to brew. I expected the birds to pull out weapons and start battling. They were getting very noisy, espicially when the turkeys got too cloose to the other flocks.

Offline TJ Bauer

• Forked
  • LIVE LIFE, HUNT, BE SAFE, AND HAVE FUN
« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2005, 10:25:54 PM »
today I was out driving around I was going down this gravel road and out of the corner of my eye on the side of the road is thought I had seen a drake mallard tossed on the road so I turn around to see if it really was when I got closer to it I seen that it was a drake mallard so I pulled up to it to take a look and when I got about five feet away from it, it turned it's head and looked up at me. scared the crap out of me because it is -3 degrees it should have been dead or gone south. so I got out of my truck and walked up to it. It tried to get away from me but it was froze to the road. Duck season is closed so I was thinking what should I do. It looked pretty bad it had gotten shot. So I peeled it of the road and brought it into the ditch and took it out of it's misery. But to see a bird on the road two weeks after everything is froze up and it be alive when you walk up to it thats not normal.

buzzbomb

« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2005, 11:49:06 AM »
About 10 years ago I was bowhunting on thanksgiving (early Oct. in Canada) and I was headed for my spot in an abandoned farmyard where I had a chair stashed in the bushes behind a big double tree.  As I approached I saw antlers sticking out from around the tree and thought I'd found one in bed.  I came to full draw and tiptoed through the grass, heart pumping away and.... it was already dead.   He'd been rubbing the tree with his antlers and got caught between the 2 trunks, apparently given a panic lurch and snapped his neck and died.  I was freaked out in a big way, what with the anticipation of the shot and all.  He wasn't warm anymore, but wasn't stiff yet and the birds in the tree hadn't been at the eyes yet.  I took some pictures next day and rolled him down the hill for the coyotes.  It made the Waterfront Press from Lumsden but I never kept a copy.. I stil have a pic. if I can get access to a scanner sometime I'll post the pic here.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #29 on: Dec 07, 2005, 01:53:58 PM »
I hope you kept the antlers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal