Author Topic: Help  (Read 9338 times)

Offline bigbuck97

• Forked
Help
« on: Oct 11, 2016, 11:17:34 PM »
any waterfowl hunters out there want to help a noob and show me the ropes I don't know any waterfowl hunters. I have ammo shotgun and an aluminum boat w/ 3.5hp outboard. Don't have decoys or calls or know how to use them but am willing to learn.     ;D

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2016, 06:53:28 PM »
When your choosing decoys I would get a mixed bag of species. Out here I run mostly mallards with a few wood ducks mixed in. A lot of it depends on where you hunt. If you're hunting lakes you tend to see a lot more different species than you would if you were on a beaver pond. A lot of guys are telling be the mojo duck decoy is flaring birds so if you were g. oing to get into the more expensive decoys I would go with the bubbler decoys. To keep it cheap just use jerk strings.  That's all I have in my spread right now. I'd like to get a few bubblers just for movement. yo don't need really expensive calls either.mine are 30 dollar calls ill have to look at what the exact names are. I've heard great things on the duck commander calls
icefishinman88 on the shanty

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
Re: Help
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2016, 07:09:07 PM »
You don't need a ton of decoys either. I use between a dozen and a dozen and half. Pay attention to the wind setting up. They will always land into it. Make sure you leave a gap in the decoys so they can land. Also don't set your decoys to far away in case they try to land on the edge of the spread. Watch how the birds react to certain calls. If birds keep flaring something is up and needs to be changed.  Left a thermos out once and they were picking up the glare.. if your going on a lake definitely do some scouting. They have certain spots they just want to be
icefishinman88 on the shanty

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal