Author Topic: Fat Boy's Hunting Stories - An Outdoor Adventure  (Read 20672 times)

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
Re: Fat Boy's Hunting Stories - An Outdoor Adventure
« Reply #15 on: Sep 08, 2011, 07:41:22 AM »
nice story....good luck this year as well and hope just as productive

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #16 on: Sep 08, 2011, 11:03:08 AM »
Just read your recent blog entry and it was great as usual. I like how you had the mount done. 8)

Offline Fat Boy

• 6 Pointer
  • Whack 'em and stack 'em!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 08, 2011, 12:02:21 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'm fired up about this year.  I missed the entire season last year for two reasons:

1)  from opening day of bow season until mid January, I was just plain not motivated and lazy.  Then, I decided to get it in gear and get out for the last two weeks of bow season, the end of January...the day I was planning to buy my license (yep, that's how lazy I was), lead to the next reason:

2) from January 20th on, I was in a car accident, and that ended both my ice fishing season and chance to get some hunting in.

Things on my to do list for this year:

1)  buy my license (will do that prior to 9/15, start of MD bow season)
2)  sight in my bow and practice (sighted in, but will continue to practice)
3)  plan my first hunt - in the works, probably late September, but if it stays cool then I will get out sooner.  I hate hunting when it's hot out...too many skeeters.
4)  get my permits for local hot spots (will drive up to the DNR after my license is purchased next week)
5)  bag that big buck with my bow, to bring team Maryland first place in the contest (LOL)...
6)  fix my MHF avatar and signature  (Jeez Scott, what happened to my photo files???)

...OK, truthfully, I'd be happy just putting some meat in the freezer, any rack after that is a bonus with the bow.  I'll be pickier come gun and muzzleloader season.

Bottom line:  I'll be back in the game this year.  I've already caught more fish than the past five years combined, my ice fishing gear is in order and ready to go for this winter, I've lost 42 pounds and still losing - no cheating at all on my diet with 27 pounds more to go to hit my goal, and I'm much more motivated.  I had to lose weight because I got tired of having to come up for air after tying one shoelace, worried about falling through 4" of ice that could hold the weight of three normal sized folks, worried that ladder stands built for two would be too weak for my fat butt, and worried that my user name which was named after an ice fishing jig would be more suited to my stature.

OK, enough rambling.  Time to think hunting.

Dave, I know a good spot to hunt on an island, but you need a boat to get there.  With recent flooding, I doubt there are deer on it, but when the river levels drop, they will be back there...just a thought if you want to try something different!
-Kevin Wilson

"Rabbit, rabbit...5 O'clock...It's comin' right for us!"  http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #18 on: Sep 08, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »
Congrats on the weight loss Kevin. Now go get the license. ;D

Heaters Island? Never hunted on a island but I know they can be great spots to hunt.
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2011, 01:56:47 PM by drobertsinMaryland »

Offline Fat Boy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Sep 08, 2011, 02:05:55 PM »
Nope, but I've heard of that one too.  It's another one...a secret one, that only I know about :)
-Kevin Wilson

"Rabbit, rabbit...5 O'clock...It's comin' right for us!"  http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #20 on: Oct 01, 2011, 07:40:24 AM »
Where has Fat Boy been??      His season has been open for some time and no new reports...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #21 on: Oct 01, 2011, 12:00:05 PM »
Stuck on an island with out a boat maybe?
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #22 on: Oct 01, 2011, 12:01:58 PM »
Havent heard from him, he's probably fishing. ;D ;D

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #23 on: Oct 01, 2011, 03:28:56 PM »
Stuck on an island with out a boat maybe?

Maybe..................................... ;D

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #24 on: Oct 01, 2011, 03:29:59 PM »
Havent heard from him, he's probably fishing. ;D ;D

Hate to say I dont blame him...    I might try and get out tomorrow........

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #25 on: Oct 01, 2011, 03:46:03 PM »

Maybe..................................... ;D

drobs could go look but its a secret island.  :-X
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Fat Boy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #26 on: Oct 29, 2011, 05:35:35 PM »
Hey everyone. 

I posted another hunting story on my blog: 

http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/p/how-bout-some-huntin-stories.html

Scroll down to the fourth story, titled, "The 30 Minute Buck".  I have pictures but have to scan them in.  The story took place before the age of digital cameras.  Yeah, I know, I'm an old fart.

I've been fishing a lot, yep.  But, I've only been in the woods a couple times.  The first time it was hotter than blazes and all I saw was squirrels and a neighbors cat.  The next time was a week ago and I had four does walk nearby but never gave me a shot.  I'll admit, I could have probably taken one at thirty yards when the first of the three came through, but I thought I saw antlers moving through the brush toward me so I decided to wait.  It was an illusion though as only the last doe moved out of the brush.  If there was a buck there, it disappeared like a ghost.  All this took place about 50 yards away from me. 

I was hoping to get out today, but I'm not a fan of bowhunting in pouring down rain.  Then, I woke up to see snow on the ground...I may take a day off this week and stay in the tree all day long...I got a good spot!

The good news is that I've been practicing a lot, and I'm shooting good groups, and more importantly, my first shots are dead on at each distance that I practice.  When that happens, I'm confident in the woods.  Watch out whitetails!
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2011, 05:37:46 PM by Fat Boy »
-Kevin Wilson

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #27 on: Oct 29, 2011, 06:44:07 PM »
Good stuff - nice to see the other MDer around again   ;)
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline Fat Boy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #28 on: Oct 29, 2011, 08:52:45 PM »
Good stuff - nice to see the other MDer around again   ;)

Thanks!  I guess I need to be here posting more.  Maybe it will bring me some more luck in my stand next time!
-Kevin Wilson

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #29 on: Oct 29, 2011, 09:07:14 PM »
Thanks!  I guess I need to be here posting more.  Maybe it will bring me some more luck in my stand next time!
Yes you should be posting more on here. ;D Hope things are going well for you buddy. Glad to hear you have been taking the bow for a walk. I'm hunting in Potomac next Sunday with a friend.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal