Author Topic: Nice Curves  (Read 104212 times)

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
Re: Nice (Re)Curves
« Reply #270 on: Apr 04, 2015, 08:51:47 AM »
Have the bow but pics will have to wait till I get back. It's in great shape for 47 years old and very short. Bear made the black ones from '66-'69, made them for hunting. String that came with it is too short, brace is almost 10".  ::) Will order one so it is there after my trip.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #271 on: Sep 14, 2015, 11:57:40 AM »
Finally have some time to catch up on this thread. Here's the '68 Super Magnum 48, really short for sure at 48" AMO.

Had a string made for it last Spring, it would not straighten out in the lower string groove like they are supposed, too. The string maker tried to make one that would work but couldn't and refunded my money; they must stretch the string while making it and while that might work for compound strings with newer material, I don't think it works with Dacron which has  more stretch. Need to have the other guy that made most of my strings make one up.

I have been shooting the '68 Kodiak Magnum some, not as short at 52", really need good form with the short bows so they are good for practice.

« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2015, 08:27:14 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #272 on: Dec 13, 2015, 10:01:53 PM »
Too warm to hunt, freezer is full and season is over, so today I decided to set up the Super Mag with the string that wasn't laying flat in the groove at the bottom. It didn't seem like it would be too much of a problem and doesn't hurt to try since I had it on the bow. Stripped off the old rest on the shelf and added a new piece of rug with a small piece of leather to act as a rest underneath where the arrow contacts,  good idea with flat shelf (the Martins I have are radiused). Left the old calves hair strike plate for now, still in good shape.

These old Bears have a sort of rattle sound at the limb tips and are loud with nothing added, started with calves hair strips in the string grooves. Then added wool puffs which really helped; now there is just a slight "boing" sound at the shot.

For arrows I figured the Heritage 150s that I used with the 45# Hunter as first would tune pretty good with this bow at 45# also. Thought more tip weight would be needed, but this little bow is pretty powerful and the bare shafts were flying nice and straight with 125 grain points. While not as fast as the Martins, this bow casts a nice arrow and hits hard. As mentioned before, it is very finicky being so short but does surprisingly well when I do my part. Couldn't put the bow down, will shoot a bunch this week, forecast looks good. Like it so far, with practice I think it will be nice to hunt with.

Here it is next to the already pretty short Mamba.

And the K Mag.

« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2015, 10:03:14 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #273 on: Jan 11, 2016, 01:34:00 PM »
Here's my old bow, haven't shot it in over 25 years. I found out(saw a similar one up for auction) that this one was made in Danbury, CT in the 60s by Clad Owens owner of the United States Archery Co; 62", 43#@28". Unfortunately it has a slightly twisted limb, probably can be fixed but for now it is a wall hanger, the wood is beautiful.

Need to take some pics of the new ones.

Was trying tom figure out where to put this bow in my new place, then decided to try twisting the limbs back to where they need to be by hand, have read that this sometimes works. Much to my surprise after a few tries I had kit straight in about 5 minutes, that was last week and it hasn't moved, sting goes right into the grooves on letdown now. Sometimes you get lucky.

Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
« Reply #274 on: Jan 11, 2016, 02:21:27 PM »
Wood looks beautiful.
Peddler

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #275 on: Jan 12, 2016, 05:52:44 AM »

Man you sure got some very nice looking recurves..

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #276 on: Jan 15, 2016, 03:46:14 PM »
Thanks. I like the look of wooden bows. The one I fixed is solid bubinga, the '68 K Mag is shedua and the Mamba that I hunt with is shedua between bubinga.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
Re: Nice Curves
« Reply #277 on: Sep 23, 2019, 04:30:30 PM »
After hunting with the same recurve since 2014, decided it was time for a change, and wanted something new for turkeys and the next slam. Have several old Bears, last year added a 1962 K-Mag, 44# with Bolivian rosewood riser, great shape and shoots nice for 52". But the old bows are too nice to carry in the woods, the way I hunt dings are gonna happen. Was considering a Border "super" recuvre, they are made in Scotland and I am Scottish; these bows increase in weight early in the draw then decrease to almost nothing. Plus they are really fast, but I went a different direction.

Longbows are smooth, but not as fast as recurves usually, now they make hybrid longbows that are fast, and the shorter ones are faster... and I like short bows. Was checking out the Omega Longbows website, know the bowyer and he has a great reputation for building moderately priced working man's bows, not too fancy. The short hybrid Native he redesigned looked really nice especially the one he had one the In-stock page was a little fancier, green and black riser (Green Hornet Dymalux) with double carbon limbs, but just a little lighter than I wanted at 40#. Sent he an email asking if he could make one at 45#, he explained that the carbon is tough to get the weight right, so he was sticking with glass only for now. He then said the bow is really 41# and is faster than a longer 45# carbon bow he made and with the carbon (lighter) limbs it wouldn't be much slower than a 45# Native with glass limbs.

So I took a chance and ordered it, came in this morning... and I am ready to hunt with it. Strung it up and tried the arrows I use with my 45# Mamba, and after playing with the nock height, settling in at 5/8" above, the bare shaft was hitting nice and straight with a good release. Been shooting all day and really like it, a little less draw weight and hits just as hard... plus it seems more accurate, even out to 30yds. At first I thought the grip was too wide but decided to just shoot it and see; turns out it fits my hand really good, and the width adds mass on a short riser. Hope this holds up after the honeymoon is over, didn't think I would even hunt with it this Fall but no reason not to.

Still has nice curves when unstrung:
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #278 on: Sep 24, 2019, 04:44:59 PM »
The more I shoot this bow the more I like it, only problem was it was a little loud even with big wool puffs. Sounded like it was coming form the limbs, peeled a pair of limbsavers off an old compound and used silicone to attach them just above the fadeouts... really helped, the difference was really noticeable.

Shooting this bow much better than the recurve at further distances. One big help is the 4 pounds less of draw weight, can hold at anchor better. Also like the grip, fits the hand nicely. And the bow is smooth drawing with long limbs and very stable after the shot, riser has some weight to it for such a small bow, maintly from the Dymalux which is denser than most woods.

Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #279 on: Sep 25, 2019, 05:35:23 AM »
Nice bow Jeff..  Good luck with it.. 
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #280 on: Sep 26, 2019, 01:26:24 PM »
Thanks Dom, I'll be out with it tomorrow. First 3 shots with a broadhead were right there from 10, 15 and 20 yds, and that was the first day before I even had it set up.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline archipelago18

• Nubbie
« Reply #281 on: Oct 15, 2019, 08:56:01 PM »
That looks absolutely impressive.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #282 on: Nov 05, 2019, 08:29:49 AM »
Thanks, it shoots as good as it looks... as long as I do my part.

Got my first Robin Hood with it last week at 20 yds.

Here's a good group from 25 yds, trying out my new bag target.

Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #283 on: Jul 25, 2020, 07:27:53 PM »
I got lucky and was able to get another double carbon Omega Native, this one is a little longer @ 60" and slightly heavier @ 45#. new design is supposed to be faster, has two maple laminations instead of one and the limbs are a lot narrower. Not sure any more of these will be made, the form warped and the builder isn't sure he will make another. He made this one for a show that was cancelled and I inquired at the right time to buy it, wanted him to build me one at that weight.

Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #284 on: Jul 25, 2020, 07:35:10 PM »
Gorgeous piece! Congrats!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal