Hunting Equipment > Firearms, Rifle Pistol Muzzleloader Shotgun Ammo
Finding New Rifle Loads
(1/11) > >>
stka:
I know there's a couple guys with a lot of reloading experience. Does anyone have a notable preference for any specific brand/style of press. Even though I've been reloading for a long time I really only stop by my uncles and load a batch every few years. Now I'm ready to set up my own press from scratch. I'll be starting out with 30-06 and 223's but will probably end up doing some handgun and other rifle calibers eventually. I'd like to hear some input from anyone with a fair amount of experience before making the investment.
monk:
I have a Dillon Square Deal 'B' for my .40 S&W, love it! Progressive reloader is the way to go with for handgun ammunition.

Rifle, I have had a RCBS Rock Chucker. I bought it used in the 80's, no problems.

Shotgun, Mec 600. I have had this loader since the 70's, no problems.

RCBS, Dillon, and Mec all are manufacturers of quality products IMHO.
Green Mountian Hunter:

I go with Monk on the RCBS Rock Cracker had mine for 30 + years now and still working fine and all the goodies
    did replace the scale about 5 years ago , Shot gun have an old Lyman still ticking bought the stuff right out of
    high school in 1980
TallywackahME:
I like the rcbs press the best. The lee case trimmer is  the finest I've used. IDE geta tumbler used some where's, till then just clean with oooo steel lol. I really like the rcbs case prep center. This is a HUGE time saver. IDE grab a five dollar tricker and a rcbs or cabelas digital scale.  A decent digital caliper is handy but the cheaper dial style work okay. My rifle loads are to  the tenth of a grain. It's tough to get that accuracy with a triple beam scale. And it DOES  make a difference.

Bench set it is essential too! Have fun and be careful
stka:
Are you talking about the RCBS Rock Chucker? I was also trying to figure out if it was worth getting a turret or just sicking with the single stage. The progressive presses don't look like they'd give the precision I want for rifle rounds. It's been a few years since I loaded any of my 30-06 rounds, but I was using a trickler and I think I was getting tenth grain accuracy. I will get a good digital scale though, and I have good digital calipers already. It was essentially within 1-2 granules of powder. If I go single stage it would make it a bit cheaper to get everything I need.

Have you used a manual tumbler, is it even worth considering one? Or am I better off just using steel wool for the effort.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version