Author Topic: Everyone ready for opening day ??  (Read 7895 times)

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
Re: Everyone ready for opening day ??
« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2005, 10:44:57 AM »
May your freezers soon be full, and your fingers escape the frostbite.
                                                                                               ::)
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2005, 07:09:46 PM »
Good to hear from ya millermankt.Haven't heard from ya since we met at the case lake derby.

geeze just when i stopped calling you dumb dumb. you heard from him at harwood, right? ;D

im actually mad about tomorrow, my kid knocked my gun off my bar tonight and twisted my scope so i have to re-sight it in >:( but i will be out there eventually. good luck to everyone.

Offline deerslayer92163

• Forked
« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2005, 12:04:11 AM »
good luck its 1 am and im not in bed yet gotta get everything ready for a dozen guys comming over for breakfast then get 2 hours shut eye and eat and head out after the big one

Offline The Smokestick Kid

• 6 Pointer
  • When the hammer drops, the B.S. stops!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 19, 2005, 12:48:25 AM »
Im so excited and pumped to hunt, I dont know if I could sleep if I tried...The spot I'm hunting was just recently logged of a bunch of white oaks (this is on land that we lease from a timber company) and now there are acorns all over the ground.  The deer activity has been heavy in there...there's one buck that I'm especially looking for in there.  Last week my dad got our trail camera photos developed, and we've got pictures of a monster 12 point, that he says scores definitely in the 150s, maybe 160s.  I think this is the buck I saw last year on opening day... :D This just may be the year his luck runs out! Good luck to everyone! Be safe and enjoy it, this can often be one of the best days of hunting of the year!

-Zach

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2005, 01:31:20 PM »
S and I saw more blaze than deer. Still a good time in the woods freezing our toes off...

Offline The Smokestick Kid

• 6 Pointer
  • When the hammer drops, the B.S. stops!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 19, 2005, 06:35:16 PM »
I saw 8 deer in the morning. I got into my area ( a place on our land we call "The Bowl") a little late (about 7:05 AM) and the there was no action until right around 8:30. A doe slipped in to the left of me, ate some acorns and slipped out quietly. About 5 minutes later, I hear a noise behind me, and here comes that same doe along with another doe...and hot on their trail is a funky racked 6 point.  I tried like hell to get him to stop, and when he did, he was behind a tree. So the does take off, and he takes off quickly as well. They then stopped in front of an oak that we had just taken a stand out of...  ::) He then proceeds to breed the first doe, which I've never seen while hunting, and they all take off...So there goes my chance at that deer.  In the afternoon I saw 12 deer in a place called "The Nest".  I had a 15 minute stare down with a huge doe and a button buck, without them leaving. Unfortunately, there there was nothing to shoot at...

The deer are really moving well. I grunted and bleated in quite a few deer today.  I ran out of light while I was working a buck.  :-\ But nevertheless, they are MOVING! The logging company has been doing some serious timber harvesting on our land, and most of it is barely recognizable.  However, since the ground is littered with tree tops, the newly formed logging roads are loaded with tracks (we're putting food plots on the next year! Can't wait!).  Also, since they're harvesting oaks, there are acorns all over the ground.

It was a good opening day all-in-all. Nobody harvested deer on our land, BUT...My brother shot at a really nice 8 Point, and grazed it's back. He had just climbed into his ladder stand, and it came running down the hill at him. My dad had jumped it while walking in, and it ran and stopped broadside to him...it's the first deer he's ever shot at, so I imagine his nerves were going crazy!  ;D Sorry this is so lengthy. I'm pretty confident about tomarrows hunt. I'm going back into The Nest.  I'll post a report tomarrow night!

Keep Em' In The Crosshairs,

-Zach

Offline Dr. IceGeek

• Forked
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2005, 03:34:29 PM »
My opening day was less than fruitful.  I only saw one doe?!?!?!?  No biggie as I've already got two deer in the freezer, but I would have liked to have seen a few more deer.  Hope you guys all had a safe and enjoyable day in the woods.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2005, 06:34:03 AM »
S and I saw more blaze than deer. Still a good time in the woods freezing our toes off...

I too saw more blaze than deer but I figured that would happened since we are now a rifle zone. I had one hunter start across a field toward our property, he saw me in my stand and stopped, flipped me off and turned around and went back through the tractor opening from which he came. I think it was the same guy I kicked off our land last year. It sounded like a war on Saturday but Sunday there were hardly any shots.  Saw 3 button bucks, a doe, an unknown and a coyote. I did scare a buck into running into my ladder of my ladder stand as I walked into my site early saturday morning. He was grunting as he was running from me when I heard BANG! He smacked right into the ladder. When I got there he was still a little dazed but he walked away when I go near the stand. I don't know how big he was because I never saw the head in the moonlight but the body seemed decent size.  I can't wait to get back out. I have Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off and its suppose to snow tomorrow! Yahooooooooooooo!
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline spiker2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #23 on: Nov 21, 2005, 09:12:09 AM »
saw lots of deer saturday but no takers. it would figure the one year i don't have a doe tag that i would see every doe in the woods. had a shot at a nice 8 pointer yest ::)erday but blew it. he caught me with my pants down { literally} ::)

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2005, 09:43:46 AM »
Lol... Don't ya hate that?

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 21, 2005, 10:13:08 AM »
Murphy's Laws of hunting

1.)The only shootable deer you'll see is the one when you are going to the bathroom.

2.) Your gun will jam at the most inoppertune time (ie when you go to shoot it)

3.) Your treestand will make a noise just when you go to shoot a deer no matter what the stand is made up of (metal, wood, concrete)

4.) The only good hunting weather is on the days you have to work.

5.) If you wait until the last minute to put together your lunch for hunting that day, you will find every piece of bread is molded, everything similar to bread (bagels) is molded, and the lunchmeat is turning green too.

6.) No matter which side of a field you set up on, the deer will always come out on the other side.

7.) When you have to go #2 in the woods because it is an emergency, that is when you realize you forgot to pack the TP.

8.) When you are hunting does, you'll only see bucks. When you are hunting bucks, you'll only see does.

9.) The big buck you have seen all summer feeding on you land, be photographed on your trail camera, and drinking from your water holes will always be shot by the guy on the next land over who only shows up in the woods once a year.

10.) If it can go wrong while hunting, it will.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline spiker2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #26 on: Nov 21, 2005, 11:34:23 AM »
Lol... Don't ya hate that?
1st time that has ever happend to me guys . what are the chances. u hear people tell stories like that but you think they are just exsadurating. well i can now say that it is no exsaduration. i forgot to metion. he left me a gift. when he started running he hit his rack on a tree limb and part of it broke off. now its my mission to kill him and reunite him with his broken antler ;D well i guess i'll wait for this weekend and see what else can happen to me this season. off all next week on vacation.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal