Poll

Is Shooting at RUNNING deer an ethical and responsible shot to take?

Yes
39 (60%)
No
26 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: POLL: Shooting at Running Deer Ethical/Responsible??  (Read 17160 times)

halfrack33

POLL: Shooting at Running Deer Ethical/Responsible??
« on: Sep 22, 2009, 06:34:12 PM »
Simply put is it an ethical shot? Not have you taken it, or would you if it was a monster... We have all been taught since we could remember to take responsible shots that will result in clean kills, not shots that might leave a deer injured or in a position to run far off past recovery to die and go to waste. Also take into account knowing what is behind where you are shooting? Can you really know what is there if you're swinging a gun at a running deer??  ::)

Offline BBK

• 6 Pointer
Re: POLL: Shooting at Running Deer Ethical/Responsible??
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2009, 06:43:32 PM »
Elaborate more, is this deer running 20 yards from me in an open field or 50 yards through the timber? I guarantee you I can hit the 20 yards one good and make an ethical kill.

halfrack33

« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2009, 07:05:07 PM »
just in general, shooting at an animal that can run 40 mph

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2009, 07:32:58 PM »
See thats tough to say.....in some situations it is ethical but in others its not.....i would NEVER shoot at a running deer through the woods on state land.....i cant vote on this one because to me it could go either way

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2009, 08:20:59 PM »
In the brush?? Nope, wouldnt shoot at a running deer in the woods, open field out to 100 yrds with the right gun........  Absolutely.

Now with a bow?? I will not shoot a deer walking or running, standing only.
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2009, 09:23:41 PM »
Are we talking flat out "get me the heck out of here" run? Even a trot can be a hard shot in my opinion

Offline bucksnort

• 8 Pointer
  • mealworm on the shanty
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2009, 08:19:35 AM »
it all depends i'v shot deer on the run but i'v also let a bunch go cause i couldn't tell if it was big enough to shoot or not
oh yeah buzzy...he's a racker

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2009, 08:42:34 AM »
I hunt a lot of brush and a lot of times doing drives so in many cases the deer are on the run.As long as i have a good shot and its not running directly away from me yea id take it.Little different in the woods and on state land.
icefishinman88 on the shanty

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2009, 12:18:03 PM »
Highly unethical IMO.

Offline pooley

• 6 Pointer
  • don't shoot the 2 legged dear!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 23, 2009, 02:36:09 PM »
shooting a running deer is not smart, as the adrenaline in the blood will make the meat tough, and gamey tasting. it's also, not ethical/responsible.

Offline fuldraw

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Sep 23, 2009, 04:36:40 PM »
i think it depends on the shooter and the situation.  some people just flat out cant hit anything that isnt stopped wether it be a deer or a rabbit.  as for the situation its different everytime, depends on how thick it is and what direction the deer is running.

upstatehunter

« Reply #12 on: Sep 24, 2009, 04:14:45 AM »
I think it all depends on your experience and abilities. I have shot a number of deer, making a full get the heck out of here run. I check ahead of the deer, gun down, see where it is going. Find a clear opening, I am almost always in the woods, and set the scope into the opening at the height of the front shoulder. This method allows me to 1) check the back drop for the direction I am shooting and 2) reset my mental excitement from heightened to concentration.
It may not be for everyone. But I can honestly say I have lost no deer to shots when running, and three deer to coyotes, and a miss directed arrow bow hunting. All deer were standing when shat at.
Plus years ago when I was an officer in the local fish and game club, we held shoots which included a running deer target. We practiced it and learned it in a safe environment. Most of the oldtimers I knew or know will tell of deer that they shot running like the wind. I was just the way we were brought up. I remember my Dad asking if I had seen the buck he had just shot at during a drive, I was driving. I said yes but it was running pretty good and going the way I wanted so I didn't shoot. He simply stated, Can't hit em if you don't shoot.
I voted ethical. With the correct amount of experience and abilities.
Those that have the ability will know it, as those that don't.
Oh and as for making game tough and gamey'er??(Is that really a word) Never found that to be the case. More so the deers age and food sources. Four year old buck I shot last year was all hyped up in the rut when I shot it. Sons Doe, aged 7 years, was shot in bow season relaxed and feeding when shot. My buck was tender and delicious, His doe you couldn't cut the gravy.
JMO

Offline pyle

• Forked
« Reply #13 on: Sep 24, 2009, 10:49:38 AM »
shooting a running deer is not smart, as the adrenaline in the blood will make the meat tough, and gamey tasting.

That is one of the most assanine things I have heard in a long time. No offence Pooly. But makes no sence what so ever.

In that case we shouldnt shoot a deer during the Rut cause there adrenaline is pumping at 100% all the time.Ever shot a buck chasing down a doe? Whats the differance?

Offline Bigfish57

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Sep 24, 2009, 02:01:51 PM »
I voted yes but it really depends on the situation. I have shot 4 deer that were running after I jumped them. Quartering away shots are not really hard at all, particularly less than 50 yards.  Having said that I have let many many more go because the shot just wasn't there.

Pyle I have read the same thing several times. Maybe the articles I read were wrong but they said stressed animals are tougher because of some chemicals produced in there body under prolonged stress.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal