MHF US Northeast > Hunting New York
Post season scouting/ spring planting prep
(1/40) > >>
Hollywood:
Took some time to plan where I need to clear for the coming springs chestnut tree & apple tree plantings. Basically there are 2 main bedding areas, one on the North end & one towards the South. I already have a pretty good start near the southern bedding area with a few dozen crabapple and a couple dozen chestnut trees established last spring (in the area that I spent clearing the past 2 winters) I plan to expand that area down the hill a bit more- about another 1/2 to 3/4 of an acre more. I will plant Jonamac's & Mcintosh along with some more chestnut there this spring. After that area is opened enough I'm going to open an area that borders the southern side of the northern bedding area. There is a nice bench that the deer already use a lot between these 2 feed lots I'm creating- when they are producing well in a few years this bench is going to be incredible as the bucks cruise between the two. This way I can hunt near whichever feeding area the wind is right for... but mostly will hunt the bench between the two so the deer can feed undisturbed for the most part.  Hard & soft mast will be in both areas with clover , turnips etc also. The deer don't get at the turnips until late season- they are in where I put them now hard- looks like plenty made it through the season! The new tree plantings will drop from September right through winter- I chose the varieties I did to produce a constant flow of drops. The heavy wet snow broke a few of the old established wild apple trees right in half. I pruned everything that needed it, I'm sure those limbs will be eaten up quick! I've really come to enjoy the clearing & prep work in the winter. It's really easy to see what should stay & what needs to go when it's not a jungle. No ticks or deer flies is a big plus too. I will try to get a few pics next trip and put them here when I do.
adkRoy:
I'll be cutting back some brush tomorrow from around my food plot, trimming out some new shooting lanes around one of my new stands, and doing some post season scouting and shed hunting. I've been getting some trail cam pics of bucks that have already shed antlers.
Hollywood:

--- Quote from: adkRoy on Dec 19, 2014, 05:18:12 PM ---I'll be cutting back some brush tomorrow from around my food plot, trimming out some new shooting lanes around one of my new stands, and doing some post season scouting and shed hunting. I've been getting some trail cam pics of bucks that have already shed antlers.

--- End quote ---

Wow- It's early for that... stay safe & have fun.  8)
reeleyz:
HW you make me want to build another food plot ASAP.

I picked up 5 more apple trees (3 crabs 2 regular) yesterday and they are going in this weekend. I am going to plant a dozen dunstan chestnuts in the spring. I plan on turning my existing food plot into half fruit/nut trees and the other half is going to stay clover.

It will be a few years before I build another food plot but I might just make the whole thing fruit/nut trees.

You are an inspiration to us all!
Hollywood:

--- Quote from: reeleyz on Dec 19, 2014, 06:53:55 PM ---HW you make me want to build another food plot ASAP.

I picked up 5 more apple trees (3 crabs 2 regular) yesterday and they are going in this weekend. I am going to plant a dozen dunstan chestnuts in the spring. I plan on turning my existing food plot into half fruit/nut trees and the other half is going to stay clover.

It will be a few years before I build another food plot but I might just make the whole thing fruit/nut trees.

You are an inspiration to us all!

--- End quote ---

Well... thanks for kind words. The only reason I can do the things I'm doing with the place is that the time is right. Kids grown & gone so there is time to go do this instead of the other responsibilities that were much more important at that time. Where are you finding fruit trees this time of year? My chestnut seeds came today... have to put them in peat moss & into the fridge for a couple months until they sprout. Curious to see how it works out doing them from seed- you can get a whole lot more trees going than buying them by the gallon pot. Still going to buy more Dunstan that way in the spring but if I can get 30 trees out of the 150 seeds I'll only have $47 invested... got to try it! These are Chinese chestnut. I'm going with them in case by some chance the Dunstan become infected when they're older or some other weird invasive gets to them. Hate having all the eggs in one basket. Good luck & have fun with your project!
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version