Author Topic: What Broadheads Do You Shoot?  (Read 12701 times)

Offline Deadeyez

• 6 Pointer
  • Bow Hunting Addict
Re: What Broadheads Do You Shoot?
« Reply #15 on: Jul 28, 2013, 07:18:21 PM »
You'd have to change your sig if you change heads lol
Yeah I hear ya there...LOL  ;D
THWWWACK         Never Back Up Never Back Down

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Jul 28, 2013, 08:28:23 PM »
I switched to blood runners a couple years ago, lost a deer on them, and switched right back to my standard, 3 blade 100gr muzzy's.

Offline Deadeyez

• 6 Pointer
  • Bow Hunting Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jul 29, 2013, 06:25:33 AM »
I switched to blood runners a couple years ago, lost a deer on them, and switched right back to my standard, 3 blade 100gr muzzy's.
Wow, the muzzys are a real solid head.
THWWWACK         Never Back Up Never Back Down

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Jul 29, 2013, 07:29:27 AM »
I shoot muzzy 100 grain 3 blade broad heads with the chisel point. Have been doing it for years and have taken quite a few deer with them.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

FrankM

« Reply #19 on: Jul 29, 2013, 08:00:56 AM »
I would never change from Muzzys to mechanicals.  I have no problem with they way Muzzys fly and they kill deer.  Simple is better.

Offline sorelippin

• Spiked
« Reply #20 on: Jul 29, 2013, 11:09:50 AM »
It really does come down to personal preferrence because many broadheads get the job done; however, I switched from the muzzy 100 grain 3 blade with chisel point to 100 grain Spitfires really out of curiosity at first and liked they way they flew.  I've put a dozen deer on the ground the last 4 seasons with the spitfires and they really do a great job with accuracy, penetration and damage.  The spitfire gobbler getters work excellent too  ;D 

Offline FreezinGator

• Forked
« Reply #21 on: Jul 29, 2013, 12:34:22 PM »
I tried the muzzys on advice from my brother and I found that any shot I took over twenty yards they dropped about 6 inches.  I switched to NAP 100 grain shockwaves and found they flew like a field point.  I killed my first deer last year with the shockwave at 30 yards on the first shot I ever took at a deer in my first year bowhunting.  Obviously I am not a veteran but I shoot alot and I am pleased with the mechanical heads.  I picked up a set of NAP spitfire maxx 100 grain heads with a 1 3/4" spread that I am going to use this year and I got another set of shockwaves as a back up.  The mechanical heads make sense to me as there is no blade to catch the air and deflect the shot - my 2 cents-       
« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2013, 09:51:40 AM by FreezinGator »
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

Offline jperch

• Forked
« Reply #22 on: Jul 29, 2013, 02:05:06 PM »
I have used NAP Spitfires for quite a few years, with very good success.  The people I hunt with also use them, or similar mechanicals.  The do fly like my field points and I have never had a broken blade, even after contacting heavy bone.  I am very satisfied with them and will continue to use them.  HOWEVER (I know, I have said this before) there is something important to know about the use of this type of mechanical.  I have looked at lots of deer carcasses that have been harvested with mechanical broadheads.  The blades always open, but sometimes (not always) not until the head has penetrated past the first chest wall it encounters.  This means that the entrance wound may not yield much blood for trailing.  The exit wound on the other hand is devastating.  My point is that the user should only attempt shots that will most likely produce an exit wound, that is a pass through.  Oh, and hopefully an exit wound that doesnt get clogged up with guts.  So I try to avoid shots with significant angle or where the shoulder might stop the broadhead on the opposite side.  All in all, for me this is a tradeoff that I am happy with.  The increase in accuracy that I have with Spitfires over traditional broadheads more than makes up for the occasional shot that I now pass on.  Just my opinion, based on personal observations.  jperch

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #23 on: Jul 29, 2013, 02:26:45 PM »
No wonder I can't find Spitfires in the stores, you guys are buying them all... ;D 
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline jperch

• Forked
« Reply #24 on: Jul 29, 2013, 02:38:35 PM »
I can find them easier than I can pay for them Hunt!  Oh well, as a friend once told me, "Good fun is never cheap".  jperch

Offline Spikehorn11

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #25 on: Jul 29, 2013, 02:54:02 PM »
No matter what you use make sure you shoot them before hunting. I used Muzzys for year. But when I got a new bow I couldn't get them to fly right. Between 2 pro shops and friends working on it they still would not fly true. That was the reason I switched to rage.

Offline bone_and_beard

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #26 on: Jul 29, 2013, 03:07:38 PM »
No matter what you use make sure you shoot them before hunting. I used Muzzys for year. But when I got a new bow I couldn't get them to fly right. Between 2 pro shops and friends working on it they still would not fly true. That was the reason I switched to rage.
I got a pack of rage 3 blades for this year, how do you like them?

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #27 on: Jul 29, 2013, 03:09:02 PM »
You mean you didn't switch to rage to expand your kill zone lol.   :P.  just messing I got no problems with rage tons of guys swear by them. I just hate there slogan.

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #28 on: Jul 29, 2013, 07:04:55 PM »
Shot Razorbacks back in the day. Deadhead Hornets for 12 years.
Last year after 30 years switched to mechs. Shot the Ulmer Edge.......devastating!
Extreme angle away, hit leg bone on exit.....complete pass thru at 17 yards. Ran about 10 yards and fell over.
Pulling 62# with older Hoyt. Can't wait for this year. Gonna be pulling 65# on my new, much faster Elite.
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Offline Spikehorn11

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #29 on: Jul 30, 2013, 07:30:36 AM »
I got a pack of rage 3 blades for this year, how do you like them?

I like them and wouldn't hesitate to use them again. A couple years ago they switched to soft metal for the blades. Before if I missed I could just resharpen and reuse. Now the blades have to be replaced, if you can get the screw out to do it. I had about a 50/50 chance on the ones I tried.

I switched because I am cheap. Magnus has a lifetime replacement policy and they are $10 cheaper. These heads are tough!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal