Author Topic: Time to buy new arrows  (Read 3742 times)

Offline duckey

• 6 Pointer
Time to buy new arrows
« on: Jul 15, 2013, 11:49:29 AM »
I need to buy new arrows and wondering what people like using and why.  I currently shoot PSE Carbon Force Hunters and Dominators out of my PSE Deer Hunter.  I need to use no less than a 420 grain arrow, want carbon, plastic or feather fletch, and not looking to break the bank for a half dozen.  It seems Carbon Express and Gold Tips are popular arrows.
A. White

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Time to buy new arrows
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2013, 12:03:16 PM »
CE Meyham 350s are what I went with. At 9.8gr/in they have a decent weight. Next time around I may go back to aluminium for even more weight. Here's the specs.
http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/archery/hunting-arrows/mayhem-
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2013, 12:04:10 PM by stka »

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2013, 12:32:59 PM »
I shoot black eagle Carnivores and they are a mico diameter arrow and shoot great out f my bow but they are a lighter arrow then you are looking for. You may want to look at there deep impact arrow its a heavier arrow. There arrows are a little higher priced.

FrankM

« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2013, 12:34:12 PM »
I use Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 350s.  I like them a lot. They shoot well and are durable. My arrows weigh 395.4 grains total with 100 grain broadheads on 28.5" shafts.  If you put a 125 grain broadhead on there it would take you to 420.  Of course it also depends on what length shaft you need.  I also use 2" blazer vanes which are pretty small.

Offline duckey

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2013, 01:09:53 PM »
Frankm

I shoot a 29" arrow with 4" plastic vanes and a 65 grain 3 blade muzzy so that gives me a total of 365 grains for the arrow.  Just yesterday my arrows were self destructing in mid air, come to find out I am not supposed to shoot anything less than 420 grains out of this bow.  I have shot these arrows for years...hundreds of times with no issues.  So if I combine my arrow weight with broadhead weight I will be ok as long as I got to or exceed 420 grains?  I never once thought about arrow weight having a min for a bow.
A. White

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2013, 02:16:35 PM »
Duckey what are you shooting for draw length and weight. It sounds like you are shooting way under spines arrows for them to break mid air/ old arrows weak arrows under spined.  Your are very lucky not to get hurt.  I flex test my arrows several times a year or after one had a bad hit help prevent this.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2013, 02:54:56 PM »
With a heavier arrow, or even a lighter one, you will get better arrow flight and penetration with more weight at the tip, most use 100 grain BHs.

Not sure why you would need 420 grain arrows, unless PSE requires at least 6 grains per pound of draw weight for their warranty? With modern compounds the standard is to have an arrow that weighs at least 5 grains per pound of DW(70 lb DW = 350 grain arrow) to not damage the bow.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

FrankM

« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2013, 03:34:59 PM »
Frankm

I shoot a 29" arrow with 4" plastic vanes and a 65 grain 3 blade muzzy so that gives me a total of 365 grains for the arrow.  Just yesterday my arrows were self destructing in mid air, come to find out I am not supposed to shoot anything less than 420 grains out of this bow.  I have shot these arrows for years...hundreds of times with no issues.  So if I combine my arrow weight with broadhead weight I will be ok as long as I got to or exceed 420 grains?  I never once thought about arrow weight having a min for a bow.
If you took your current setup and just changed the broadhead to 125 grains you would be at 425 grains.  65 grains is really light for a broadhead.  If you are destroying arrows with your current setup you must be shooting some awesome draw weight.  I'm only set at 60 lb on my bow.  I think a good rule of thumb is you should be around 400 grains for hunting.  I get about 295-300 fps out of my Mathews Reezen with my arrows which is plenty fast for a hunting setup and the 60 lb draw is easy on my aging shoulder joints.

Offline duckey

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Jul 15, 2013, 09:58:03 PM »
I am shooting a 29" arrow, my peak weight for the bow is 70 lbs.  The sticker on the limb with all the tech info states not to shoot an arrow under 420 grains.  My arrows with broadheads are 365 grains and I have shot these for a long time.  I am certain the arrows failed due to age and or a hard strike(s).  I bought a half dozen Bemin's (340 Grain) so with a broadhead I will be at 405 grains.  The arrow size selection chart on the back of the arrow box, using my peak weight and draw length puts me at a 340 grain arrow.  My bow is a PSE Deer Hunter and is about 6 years old, older engineering I am sure compared to today's bows.  I am sure that I am shooting a safer arrow broardhead combo now and will flex check my arrows.  Thanks for the help.
A. White

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal