Author Topic: GoPro on Bow or Gun  (Read 5138 times)

Offline maineduckhunter

• 12 Pointer
  • 2008 8 pt.
GoPro on Bow or Gun
« on: Apr 25, 2013, 10:18:06 AM »
Anyone use a GoPro on their bow for deer hunting?  I am looking to get a new GoPro Hero3 White edition. Just looking for some more reviews on it.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
Re: GoPro on Bow or Gun
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2013, 05:29:50 PM »

Nice post I'm looking for the same info. Been checking into it myself , Hope we get what we are looking for     ;D ;D

Offline Mearzy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2013, 08:27:51 PM »
Last year I made the purchase to begin videoing hunts however after research ended up buying the Stealth Cam Epic HD1080 Action Camera.  As far as a POV camera it offers many of the same qualities as the GoPro, don't get me wrong, the GoPro is of great quality.  Fortunately I was able to demo the GoPro and then research further and realize that for half the price tag I could shoot the same quality video with the Stealth; 1080HD.  No matter what you must remember that these cameras are both simply POV (Point of View) cameras, you will not have the ability to zoom into your prey from stand like you see the pro's do on the hunting shows, zoom in from 100+ yards away this is not what these cameras are designed to do.  Down the road I hope to pick up a handy cam that I can have mounted to a tree arm for wider or zoomed in shots.  This will allow me to use the Stealth for a second angle shot of the arrows path.  These POV cameras are basically point and shoot and then edit on your computer where you will be able to zoom into your prey to catch those kill shots.
The other reason for going with Stealth is that I have 3 of there trail cams and have not had any issues with.  I can use the SD cards that I currently use for my trail cams without reformating, you'll want atleast a 16mb or 32mb card for the video.  Plus the stealth is produced by a company that is dedicated and has a strong understanding of what the hunter is looking for, right out of the box it can be attached to your bow or gun without the purchase of other pricey attachments.
Check out some videos on www.bowhuntordie.com these guys shoot using the Epic HD and lay down some great footage.

Offline maineduckhunter

• 12 Pointer
  • 2008 8 pt.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 01:34:45 PM »
Thanks Mearzy for the info.  I also will get a good hand held camera for more of a clearer view. But for now the Go Pro would get used more, I also want to use it fishing and ice fishing!! :-)

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 01:48:46 PM »
Thanks Mearzy for the info.  I also will get a good hand held camera for more of a clearer view. But for now the Go Pro would get used more, I also want to use it fishing and ice fishing!! :-)

I got a playsport (kodak) I believe that is what CaptJJ uses also
Take a Kid outside...

Offline Spikehorn11

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 04:27:51 PM »
I got a playsport (kodak) I believe that is what CaptJJ uses also

I use one as well with an Insane Archery mount.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 05:25:29 PM »

Thanks Mearzy  ;  Also I have been wanting to get involved in the filming myself there is a lot of different camera's
out there hard don't knowing what is what that is way I'm watching this topic petty close more info the better ....

Offline wiley

• Nubbie
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 07:29:19 PM »
Anyone use a GoPro on their bow for deer hunting?  I am looking to get a new GoPro Hero3 White edition. Just looking for some more reviews on it.
I used a gopro this year may 2nd to film my turker hunt and my kill need to get
some viedo editing soft ware but its nice to have this good quilty for a little camare workeds for me

Offline Mearzy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 08:01:35 PM »
GoPro is definately an amazing product, very innovative company, its funny because they were kind of a spin off company from Contour. Contour is a great POV camera aswell and was one on the first companies to market such cameras; big in the skydiving world, just don't see many distributors of there product kindof a small company still guess they like it that way.  I had a GoPro on order and cancelled and ended up with the Epic 1080dpi by Stealth.  Through research and demos I found that our hunting applications more than all ways present themselves in low light conditions and the truth is that in low light a higher dpi tends to become distorted as the camera trys to focus tighter on the point of view and not account for the lower light so I find myself often setting my Epic to shoot @ a lower dpi without grabbing it I believes its 860 or so this provides a crisper image that I can then manipulate when in my editing software; i.e. brighten, etc.  I found the Stealth to be a little more stream-lined as far as mounting to a bow a-top a stabillizer or along side a gun barrel, just remember that if you mount the camera upside down on a gun that is the way it will shoot, your video will play back upside down, the manual with this camera is pretty clear and its easy to program the camera to film right side up regardless of its position with just a few clicks.  At some point I will get some video up. 
I as well looked into the Kodak Playsport, a great camera aswell, my cousin has one, Kodak did discontinue many of the models and they seem to be scarce though.  I think that no matter what you purchase regarding a POV (Point of View) camera the real challenge will come when you have game in front of you and you attempt to film a live hunt one on one you and your prey and become successfull on film, puts a whole new spin on arrowing a white-tail big or small its always a challenge to draw and remember to press that darn little button to record!!! ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal