Author Topic: Made the move, release change  (Read 3727 times)

Offline Inwellb4light

• 6 Pointer
Made the move, release change
« on: Aug 21, 2012, 09:29:56 AM »
Just sold all three of my wrist strap index finger releases. Have been shooting and bowhunting with a wrist strap style release for 16 years.  Started experimenting with different thumb button releases last summer.  I shot a couple Carters and TruBalls, and now making the move full time for this season.  Will be hitting the woods this year with my Stan Shootoff trio.  The only thing I am dreading is shelling out the $$ again to buy a back up for my pack because I am terrified of losing it.

Anyone else shooting a thumb button release hunting? 
"You can learn more about hunting deer with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life"  - Fred Bear

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Made the move, release change
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2012, 04:55:18 AM »
Did for years....even used a Carter back tension for a few....Have since gone to a index/wrist....opinion...you won't lose it, as it is always on your mind....Truball did make one that had a lanyard on it....not sure if they still do....
As long as your confident in it...use it....Took a few years to learn a back tension type release with an index/wrist...most don't have it adjusted on their hand right to do so.....hope you have a great season with it!!

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2012, 05:38:30 AM »
When I first started bow hunting I used a thumb release...yep lost it one morning on my way to the stand and did not realize it untill a doe was standing in front of me. Went to the wrap wrist index finger release and hasve not looked back.

Offline jigchaser08

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2012, 12:42:15 AM »
love my carter insatiable 2+. wouldnt trade it for the world!

Offline Inwellb4light

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2012, 07:51:40 AM »
Was able to put my tag on my biggest buck to date this year and my STAN did not let me down.  I have shot many deer with the bow and all of them until this year with a wrist strap index finger release.  I shot a TON this summer and fall with it to be as comfortable as possible and ingrain the routine and procedure into my muscle memory to make it as natural as it could be for when the time came.  When the time did come it was a completely different experience than all the deer i shot previously with the wrist strap.  In a word it was "calming".  All the deer i have killed with the wrist strap there was not one that i actually felt the trigger break  it always just seemed like a blurred panic. With the thumb release it was a completely different mind set.  It was as if everything slowed down from my breathing and anchoring to my aiming.  When it came time to curl my thumb around the barrel and squeeze off the shot it was not a blur, but a very sharp vivid series of events.  I can remember every fraction of each second as i watched my pin float on his vitals leading up to the instant my trigger broke and the arrow found its mark.  One of the best shots i have ever made on a whitetail.  He went down within sight less than 35 yards from my tree. 

I would urge anyone who has not explored their options and looked into the world of "thumb button" or " T handle " releases to do so.  Its not for everyone and there is a learning curve, but in the end it just may be your new best thing.
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2012, 07:55:54 AM by Inwellb4light »
"You can learn more about hunting deer with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life"  - Fred Bear

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2012, 11:25:02 AM »
Was able to put my tag on my biggest buck to date this year and my STAN did not let me down.
Glad the release worked well for you. I must have missed the thread where you posted the pics? ??? Congrats on your best to date.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2012, 12:49:55 PM »
  I must have missed the thread where you posted the pics? ??? 

Because he didnt post any.......   Guess we dont count..... ::) ::) ;D ;D

Are you and bOOts still together??   How was her season?
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2012, 08:11:33 PM »
Bump for some answers. ;) I see you on here InwellB4light. ;D ;D

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2012, 08:27:35 PM »
I see. ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal