Author Topic: Poland Spring Coyote  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Scott Wright

• Forked
  • shotgun, rifle or bow... I LOVE to hunt!!
Poland Spring Coyote
« on: Nov 14, 2006, 07:33:54 AM »
I've been hunting the woods between my house and Tripp Lake in Poland Spring for 12 years... Shot lots of deer, grouse, turkey, squirrel and even a couple of foxes... I've never seen a coyote, before in our woods. If asked, I'd have said we don't have them around here... 'til yesterday.

I was watching a small buck work its way in about 100 yards away and taking his time in the drizzle. I had the wind in my favour, so I was surprised to see him lift his head, snort and run off all of a sudden (he was too small to shoot, this early, anyway) I watched the trail and about 2 minutes later I saw what I thought was a dog... or a gray fox.. nope. It was a b1tch coyote!! What a shock! I've only seen them in the western mountains while partridge hunting, before. I shot 'er and am going to have the skin tanned for my den. I took a couple of pictures when I got home. Hope they come out. I'll post one or two it they do.

Are coyote all over the state?
Let\'s go get \'em

Offline killditrite

• Forked
Re: Poland Spring Coyote
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2006, 07:58:10 AM »
definately all over the state Scott...have been for a long time now  :-\

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2006, 08:11:45 AM »
I'm glad you shot her. Yes I've had trouble with them near my house. Some times I can hear them yipping at night. I have a small field behind my house, my daughter has seen them while eating breakfast at the kitchen table. A couple of summers ago we had a doe and fawn feed in the field almost daily, then one day I saw a coyote in the field. A week or two later we saw the doe, but never saw the fawn again.  >:(  I've only shot one in the field, usually they are gone by the time I get my gun. Luckily this year I haven't heard or seen any...........but there isn't much for deer around here either.   :'(

Offline salmon44

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2006, 11:48:58 AM »
The only good coyote is a DEAD one!!!  I'm not a blood thirsty killer however, coyotes do more damage than any other animal in Maine so shoot em all.............

Offline GrandLaker

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2006, 07:07:39 PM »
Coyotes, are the biggest reason we only have 1.3 deer per square mile in Washington county, Kill everyone you see, NO MATTER WHAT IT TAKES!, they are scum! Even worse than pike!

Offline cdc

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2006, 05:00:50 PM »
Good Job Scott...
 I had one come in on me while I was bow hunting in the reg season.... I took the shot and missed..The damn dog jumped back and then walked over to where my arrow was and sniffed it..Then While getting another arrow ready she got spooked before I could get another shot. Then one day I was moving my stand and wouldn't you know it I see her again....I couldn't get a shot then...Now that I have been out with the rifle I haven't seen her...I think I should bait her in and shoot  her at night..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal