Author Topic: the rut  (Read 5374 times)

Offline sharpshooter

• 8 Pointer
the rut
« on: Nov 12, 2006, 04:06:55 PM »
just wondering have any of you seen signs of the rut haven't seen much sign on this end should be prime time by now the old timers use to say it took cold weather to bring it on

Offline GrandLaker

• Forked
Re: the rut
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2006, 07:17:56 PM »
No sign of buck's being very serious yet, I saw close to 20 scape's yesterday and they where all half assed not into yet buck scape's, this was in Aroostook county. I like it when the buck's are throwing turf for 20 ft. and tearing tree's down, that is when they are doing business. We need some cold weather, this 50 degree's B.S. is junk, and now a whole week of rain forcast, I say peak rut is going to be thanksgiving this year, you can say all you want about moon phases and  what not but I still say weather is the biggest factor.

Offline chillywillie

• 6 Pointer
  • Buxton, Maine
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2006, 05:28:16 AM »
It's generally the decrease in daylight that triggers the rut, not the temp.  But some cold weather and snow would be nice.

Offline mostlybuckless

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2006, 07:33:27 PM »
If it's cold weather, how do you suppose the whitetails in Texas procreate? ;)

Offline salmon44

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2006, 08:11:28 PM »
The same way they do everywhere else however, I agree with Grandlaker concerning the "peak rut" and has not happen yet.  Supposedly going by the lunar phase the peak rut was to occur in Maine from Nov. 3 -13 however the numerous hunters I have spoken to have seen some hookings and scrapes but not like there may be in the coming weeks.  Texas deer hunting is always humorous to watch on TV and videos.  The hunters get all dressed up to sit in a treehouse and shoot one of many bucks out the window.  Mainers work a little harder to shoot a buck in this state, just my 2 cents.

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2006, 08:37:48 PM »
I think the cold weather helps, the deer seem to start moving more. At least it feels more like hunting season, maybe it just gets me moving more.  ;D

Offline GrandLaker

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2006, 05:14:23 AM »
The deer biologist was in GL yesterday, He has been looking at buck's all over the state and has only seen three that had swollen neck's or had any sign of being in rut, He said the same thing, cold weather and get your muzzleloader ready, because thats when it is going to be good, as for Texas I don't know, all I have seen from there is guy's shooting deer out of treehouses, They should come to Maine if they want a chanlenge, better yet come to Washington county if you want a real challenge, 1.3 deer per square mile we have, WOW!

Offline salmon44

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2006, 05:47:47 AM »

Grandlaker, are you talking about bucks likes this?

Offline GrandLaker

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2006, 09:33:36 AM »
who are those idiot's in the photo anyway? must be up in Alberta or something where the Beniot's hunt now.

Offline salmon44

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2006, 11:45:30 AM »
Oh just a couple of "heater hunters", that's the only way to shoot big bucks, just keep driving and one will be standing in the road or field waiting to be shot.

Offline GrandLaker

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2006, 04:45:20 PM »
It is on full swing, Buck's throwing sod 20ft. Scapes the size of my kitchen table, all happenning since end of last week. It is amazing what a little cold weather will do for the rut!

Offline salmon44

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2006, 05:07:49 PM »
I expect there will be photos of the buck creating these scrapes in the very near future!?!?!?

Offline olbluuu

• Spiked
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2006, 05:50:56 PM »
i would love to hunt a texas farm with tall fences surrounding it - i would love my pik of the numerous bucks that the hunters pass over on those farms .lololololol 

Offline sharpshooter

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2006, 09:25:53 AM »
might as well shoot the cows same thrill ;D

Offline GrandLaker

• Forked
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2006, 04:33:34 PM »
exactly, I just don't get it, they call that hunting, I call it target practice, we may not have alot of deer in Maine but we sure know how to hunt, just think of the damage a bunch of us good ol' boy's could do in some states.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal