Author Topic: FIRST MICHIGAN DEER  (Read 1031 times)

Offline FRESHBAIT

• Forked
FIRST MICHIGAN DEER
« on: Nov 17, 2012, 09:04:03 AM »
So this summer I was transferred out to Michigan.  Luckily I found a place to rent with 40acres and the rights to hunt.   I don't bow hunt b/c I don't have a bow, but I've been a really good boy this year and santa is buying me one.  Anyways the gun season started here on the 15th,  I've been seeing lots of sign and some good scrapes.  I've been sitting at the deer feeder every morning and evening(its legal to bait here) however nothing has been coming in during shooting hours.  This morning I decided to move to the lower section of the field and as the light came up and I heard the feeder kick on,  I see 8 deer run out from the feeder into the field.  I think crap just my luck,  if I'd only been sitting in my ground blind I woulda seen some deer.  these deer were about 175-200yds, A little far for a smoothbore shotgun.  This area is shotgun only,  even though I have slugs I didn't feel comfortable taking that long of a shot with open sights and a smooth bore.  So about 30 minutes later I hear something over my right shoulder and I look and its a doe.  My only shot was me twisting around, leaning under a branch, shooting left handed.   I made a good shot right in the head and down she went,  she's not the biggest doe maybe 115lbs but she's meat in the freezer and I'm on cloud nine.   I was out in the woods by 645 and out by 8am,  nice how it works out sometimes.   Cool thing is about where I'm at now in michigan is you can just go down to the store and buy your doe tags.  Your allowed 5 does per person per day   ;D,  along with one small buck with less than 4pts per side, and one big buck with more than 4pts per side.   Plan is to go back out later tonight and resit in that spot and see if I can get another.  I think 3 deer will do me just fine till next year, don't want to get all greedy. 
I'll get some pictures posted up here in a little while.

Freshbait
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2012, 06:07:24 AM by FRESHBAIT »

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
Re: TAGGED MY FIRST MICHIGAN DEER
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2012, 09:16:34 AM »
Wow! congrats on the doe and 5 deer a day would sure fill the freezer up fast! ???

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal