Author Topic: "Remington Under Fire"  (Read 11860 times)

Offline mooseslayer71

• 6 Pointer
Re: "Remington Under Fire"
« Reply #30 on: Oct 22, 2010, 07:28:02 AM »
i did the same w/ my .270 and 7mm mag. never had a problem w/ either but i always was carefull not to trust the safetys on any firearm. anything mechanical can fail no matter who manufactures it. i does scare me tho. how rem. handled things. im not impressed.

Offline rude the dude

• 6 Pointer
  • they all gotta die sooner or later.
« Reply #31 on: Oct 23, 2010, 08:42:11 PM »
Half way through the show I got my Model 700 out and tried for the next 1/2 hour to get it to go off on it's own.  I couldn't get it to fire by accident
if it wasn't loaded it's not really the same. :-\

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #32 on: Oct 24, 2010, 06:43:42 AM »
Official Statement
Remington Arms
Official Statement for CNBC Program Regarding the Model 700
Submitted September 7, 2010
"For nearly fifty years, the Remington Model 700 rifle has been the preferred choice for millions of
hunters, shooting sports enthusiasts and military and law enforcement personnel.
Despite emotional reporting of baseless and unproven allegations and plaintiff lawyer assertions, several
undisputed facts remain:
• The Model 700 is the most popular, reliable, accurate and trusted bolt-action rifle in the world, with over
five million rifles produced and billions of rounds fired over nearly five decades.
• The Model 700 is the firearm of choice for elite shooters from America's military and law enforcement
communities, and has been the platform for the United States Marine Corps and the U.S. Army precision
sniper weapon systems for over two decades, both of which specifically require the "Walker" trigger
mechanism.
• The Model 700, including its trigger mechanism, has been free of any defect since it was first produced
and, despite any careless reporting to the contrary, the gun's use by millions of Americans has proven it
to be a safe, trusted and reliable rifle.
• Both Remington and experts hired by plaintiff attorneys have conducted testing on guns returned from
the field which were alleged to have fired without a trigger pull, and neither has ever been able to
duplicate such an event on guns which had been properly maintained and which had not been altered
after sale.
• Remington takes safety very seriously. We support hunter safety and other educational programs
nationwide, and include with every Remington firearm, the "Ten Commandments of Firearm Safety,"
which urgently remind every gun owner that if proper firearms safety rules are followed, no accidental
injuries would ever occur.
The men and women who build, own and shoot the Remington Model 700 take great pride in a product
that, over the last half century, has set the bar for safety, reliability and performance."
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #33 on: Oct 24, 2010, 06:55:04 AM »
When Remington first new about the problem it would only have cost 5 1/2 cents to fix each gun...   Now it would cost around $30 a gun.. 
Why is Remington settling these cases out of Court and not fighting them....     I have nothing against Rem, I own several,,but why did they deni interview and have no cement's?     Everyone really has to see the show....
because it would cost the company more than that to fight it in court....I think the hole story is BS how many people are going to say oops i Effed up hit the trigger and the gun went off.....They never say how many people screw with the fire control to get a lighter trigger pull do they....How many people never take care of their firearm it get full of dirt,leaves,tiny twigs,rust....It was a biased report totally one sided against the gun owners, I know one  news station I'll never watch again F_U Msnbc  >:(

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #34 on: Oct 24, 2010, 06:57:15 AM »
That pretty much sums it up. Kudos!! to Remington.

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #35 on: Oct 24, 2010, 06:57:40 AM »
http://www.remington700.tv/#/home

I was just doing some research on my own because I have a model 700...I like to hear two sides...there has only been like 75 cases with over 5 million rifles sold and billions of rounds fired...now just thinking if for some crazy reason I screwed up and made a mistake, I was preoccupied and I was unloading my gun not really paying attention to what I was doing and all of a sudden the gun went off...I'm pretty sure my first reaction would be that the gun just went off on it's own especially if god for bid I hurt or killed someone...I would say the gun went off...none of the guns involved in incidences were shown to have defects by both remington and experts representing the ones claiming they just went off...75 cases in 5 million guns over 5 decades?...I like my guns, I don't like NBC, I want to keep my firearms...safety is paramount...good luck to everyone this season...Just Huntny's opinion and personal verdict...
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2010, 07:50:05 AM by huntny30 »
John Wayne

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #36 on: Oct 24, 2010, 07:11:11 AM »
What I'm calling the catch phrase of the start of a new century....He who controls the media, controls the people..... >:(

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #37 on: Oct 24, 2010, 07:15:38 AM »
So totally true, upstate.
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #38 on: Oct 24, 2010, 07:16:19 AM »
What I'm calling the catch phrase of the start of a new century....He who controls the media, controls the people..... >:(
BINGO

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #39 on: Oct 24, 2010, 08:01:02 AM »
If you have a few minutes, go to the link a few post's back and watch all the clips that Remington posted showing how "Anti-gun" Liberal biased and false the CNBC show's claims were, from the dramatic music to how they only report what they want...If this story would have aired on FOX news channel I probably would have paid more attention, however, the "at times" sad false media world that we live in that doesn't report facts only what they want the American people to believe.  I can't believe for a TINY TINY instance I was thinking maybe my Rifle was unsafe and Remington was trying to kill millions of people...I'm glad they did respond and with facts showing how POOR CNBC's reporting was...my political rant is over now...this is one thing that gets me fired up!  I believe if you do the things your grandparents taught you and if you approached life like the greatest generation did "minus some of the human inequality that took place back then" our county wouldn't be like this...Those old Buggers were smart...I'm done...I'm also not hunting today so I'm really bored!
John Wayne

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #40 on: Oct 24, 2010, 08:39:58 AM »
Your exactly right huntNY!!! Probably why we get so upset at things is some of us were taught by that generation. I remember my Dad throwing his hands up
in frustration a lot after the start of the 80's. I still wonder at how much things have changed just in my 49 years, and can only shake my head in shame when my 83 year old mother starts talking about the state of things.
I would still be happier to be in the woods, in a cabin. Of course no way you could ever think of doing that now, NYS would throw you in jail.... ::)

Offline rude the dude

• 6 Pointer
  • they all gotta die sooner or later.
« Reply #41 on: Oct 24, 2010, 09:09:08 AM »
I saw one of these 700's go off by itself yesterday. If I hadn't seen the show two days before I may have thought I was seeing things. Had a kid out with his dads 243.(dad had to work.)  He put one round in it as we were walking to stand. Before we got to where we were going to sit, I said wait a minute how many rounds are in that gun, he said one. I told him lets get a couple more rounds in it before we get where were going. He went to open the bolt and it wouldn't open, because you have to have the safety off on this gun to open the bolt. So he then went for the safety, when he pushed it forward the gun fired. Scared the crap out of both of us. It blew a 8 inch hole in the ground  6 feet in front of us. Thank god the gun was pointed in a safe direction and there wasn't a group of people standing around. If that had been my gun it would be wrapped around a tree right now. I saw it with my own eyes. I was 2 feet away watching his every move. His finger was no where near the trigger. Just that you have to put the safety off to get the bolt open is total B.S.  If you own a 700 hundred, I would never take the safety off that gun unless you have it to your shoulder.  Say what you want about biased media. Remington will be taking a big hit in the next few years over this. Mark my words. These guns need recalled to have the triggers fixed. I will be watching my back when hunting with anyone that uses one to.  It's to bad that you have to see somethings with your own eyes before you believe. :-\

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #42 on: Oct 24, 2010, 09:37:25 AM »
That's really uncanny that it happened right after this hit the media and everyones attention.
To be honest, after mine was loaded yesterday, I just had to try it. I loaded it and after getting completely away from anything except woods I took the safety of and put it on. Probably close to 50 times, with no malfunctions. I even went as far as to thump the thing pretty hard as the safety went to off position. Like could possibly happen if you fell and hit the safety. Still no malfunction. So now my next objective since reading your post RTD is to research the date of manufacture of my gun.
I know it isn't new. But not sure how old.

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #43 on: Oct 24, 2010, 09:38:20 AM »
Is this an old version?  On my 700 I can remove the bolt with or without the safety on...not sure when Remington changed that feature...?  I believe you, I have no reason not too, but I have never heard of this happening other than the CNBC show and your experience...I know lots of people who use and have used 700's for years...I have always used model 760, 7600, 742 pumps and auto's until I bought my model 700... ???
John Wayne

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #44 on: Oct 24, 2010, 09:42:12 AM »
That's really uncanny that it happened right after this hit the media and everyones attention.
To be honest, after mine was loaded yesterday, I just had to try it. I loaded it and after getting completely away from anything except woods I took the safety of and put it on. Probably close to 50 times, with no malfunctions. I even went as far as to thump the thing pretty hard as the safety went to off position. Like could possibly happen if you fell and hit the safety. Still no malfunction. So now my next objective since reading your post RTD is to research the date of manufacture of my gun.
I know it isn't new. But not sure how old.

Plus have him contact Remington, they are saying they are open to replicate this and resolve any consumer concerns...if they do find something wrong with this I bet your friend gets a new gun...I had a misfire with a Corelok last year and Remington did everything they could to replace my ammo, and they notified me of lab testing on the box of ammo I returned...this was last season and it was not Ilion, it was the ammo plant in Arkansas...but still Remington...Contact them and then let us know how they respond...
John Wayne

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal