Author Topic: "Remington Under Fire"  (Read 11862 times)

Offline VenisonFreak

• 6 Pointer
Re: "Remington Under Fire"
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2010, 03:59:19 AM »
It will probably come out in the show, but there was a design change in the action on the 700. Used to be that you had to take the gun off "safe" position in order to open the bolt. The gun that the woman killed her son with was one of those guns. I believe she was attempting to unload it when it happened. Since that happened they changed the design to allow the bolt to open in safe position and offered a free upgrade for any gun of the older version.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #16 on: Oct 21, 2010, 05:19:14 AM »
I was very disappointed in the way Remington handled the situation...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #17 on: Oct 21, 2010, 05:59:46 AM »
Don't really have an opinion on the clip, but I will be carrying my Remington Saturday morning, as well as the other 5 people I will be hunting with...if you treat every firearm as if it were loaded and follow all the safety precautions that should be taught to everyone, like my grandfather and Dad drilled into my head as I was a youngster...I hope if there really is a problem that there is an easy fix that won't harm the firearm business anymore than it is already hurting...if a gun is not pointed at someone they won't get shot...
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2010, 06:09:19 AM by huntny30 »
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #18 on: Oct 21, 2010, 06:07:25 AM »
I missed the news, 911 came in just as the story was going to run.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #19 on: Oct 21, 2010, 06:19:21 AM »
Don't really have an opinion on the clip, but I will be carrying my Remington Saturday morning, as well as the other 5 people I will be hunting with...if you treat every firearm as if it were loaded and follow all the safety precautions that should be taught to everyone, like my grandfather and Dad drilled into my head as I was a youngster...I hope if there really is a problem that there is an easy fix that won't harm the firearm business anymore than it is already hurting...if a gun is not pointed at someone they won't get shot...

You really have to watch the whole documentary....   The lady that shot her son was unloading her gun, let the safety go off and it fired...   The round went through there camper and hit the kid on the other side....

And you have to see what the guy who came up with the design of the trigger mechanism  had to say...

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Oct 21, 2010, 06:29:55 AM »
Thats why I don't have an opinion cause I haven't seen it, I'm curious to see the outcome because I have a 700, my .35 Whelen that I'm not using this year...hopefully there can be some real guidance or an easy fix on what to do if our guns are potentially unsafe, I knowl ots of people that use them and never heard of an accidental fire, one of the reasons I'm not using my .35 this year is I had a misfire last year with the Coreloks and I sent them back to Remington, for the price of .35 ammo and the loss of confidence that I had in those shells, and the limited selection, I'm gonna have handloads made for it and get it ready to go next year, I like carrying the pump for still hunting anyway, so the bolt is only my treestand gun for now...plus Winchester is made in China...
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline mooseslayer71

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Oct 21, 2010, 08:26:03 AM »
You can put your faith in that Remington Model 700 no doubt! I owned one and was proud of it, never misfired and was a true tack driver at 100 yards plus. As for CNN, they hounded me to no end after the trajic loss of my 24 year old son, my boy took his first deer with that model 700 and that is a memory that always makes me smile! 8) ;)
same here. my boy shot his first deer a 5pt. w/ my ol'mans  700 in .270 win. in my family alone we have 6 mod. 700's and have never had a accident like theyre talking about. gotta be an anti fueling the fire as usual!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #22 on: Oct 21, 2010, 08:38:10 AM »
When Remington first new about the problem it would only have cost 5 1/2 cents to fix each gun...   Now it would cost around $30 a gun.. 
Why is Remington settling these cases out of Court and not fighting them....     I have nothing against Rem, I own several,,but why did they deni interview and have no cement's?     Everyone really has to see the show....

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #23 on: Oct 21, 2010, 08:57:02 AM »
Just to clarify my remark regarding the mother who accidentally shot her young son. I do feel bad for her loss. No one should bury their child let alone be the cause of it.
But the simple fact remains, she had the gun pointed at the trailer. We all know you step away from people, objects, anything that may cause harm while
loading or unloading a gun. Especially if we know we must take the safety off during either operation. So i guess my view is because she experienced a tragic
loss they are blaming someone or something else. It was an accident that happened, as they do, but due to carelessness. I've seen, (not heard) Winchester
30-30's going off, both by guys slipping and falling and unloading or chambering a round. So I guess those guns should be done away with. I'll add that some I know refuse to carry their '94 with a shell in the chamber for that reason.
We participate in a very safe sport, hunting. But the greatest factor in that safety is human error. Yes we expect the gun we buy to be safe. though to be truly safe we are the final factor in that.
Again, there are guns in my cabinet that never see use. Because if a momentary lapse in thought to what your doing may cause an accident. I would rather
just have them to look at and their history, than to know I could have prevented it from happening.

Offline sharpshooter

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Oct 21, 2010, 10:52:30 AM »
well i saw all but the last ten min of the show and i would strongly re comend you watch one of the airings of the show this gun is deadly in anyones hands the guy that designed the guns even says so and pleaded with the company to stop making it like was said he came up with a fix for it that would have cost 5 and a half cents  but that would have made a recall of 20,000 guns at the time i think today they said its about 5 million they had a case in Court the gun was demoed and it went off while laying on the table  i think the guy should be praised for bringing this to light  the life it saves could be yours

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #25 on: Oct 21, 2010, 11:22:21 AM »
Even if the gun has a defect and should be recalled, what ever happen to muzzle control and basic gun safety. I'm not justifying a defect if there is one, but the person in possession of a gun is the one ultimately responsible. I shot a 30-30 for a little while and really didn't like the safety or the loading and unloading, so I was extremely careful while handling it and stopped using it after that season.

Offline sharpshooter

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #26 on: Oct 21, 2010, 11:37:39 AM »
Even if the gun has a defect and should be recalled, what ever happen to muzzle control and basic gun safety. I'm not justifying a defect if there is one, but the person in possession of a gun is the one ultimately responsible. I shot a 30-30 for a little while and really didn't like the safety or the loading and unloading, so I was extremely careful while handling it and stopped using it after that season.
i agree 100% with what your saying but we are all human and and prone to make a mistake some times

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #27 on: Oct 21, 2010, 11:39:36 AM »
I agree.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #28 on: Oct 21, 2010, 12:01:33 PM »
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2010, 12:03:06 PM by Raquettedacker »

Offline HuntFishSled

• Forked
« Reply #29 on: Oct 21, 2010, 12:22:31 PM »
Half way through the show I got my Model 700 out and tried for the next 1/2 hour to get it to go off on it's own.  I couldn't get it to fire by accident then nor has it ever been a problem in the 33 years that I've owned it.  Although, as with any gun I point it at the ground and away from people when loading or unloading it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal