Author Topic: "Remington Under Fire"  (Read 11861 times)

Offline JBC

• Forked
"Remington Under Fire"
« on: Oct 20, 2010, 10:39:35 AM »
“Remington Under Fire”

“An investigation into claims that the Remington hunting rifle is prone to firing without pulling the trigger and that Remington has known of the alleged flaw for some 60 years.
The documentary features insights from corporate insiders.”

Shades of “Guns of Autumn” ?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39554936

Tonight: CNBC, Cable 32:
9:00 to 10:00 pm
10:00 to 11:00 pm
12:00 to  1:00 am
1:00 to 2:00 am
Sun 10:00 to 11:00 pm
10/28  8:00 to 9:00 pm
10/29 12:00 to 1:00 am

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: "Remington Under Fire"
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2010, 11:04:47 AM »
Wow. Glad I dont own a Remington if thats true.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2010, 11:09:42 AM »
That's ludicrous.....my family has owned the 700 for years, and never a failure or accidental fire!!! The woman in the article is asinine!! She neither knew her son was
in front of her muzzle nor that the safe was off. I can bet what happened. She tried to push the trap release with gloves on with the safe off. Only other way it might go off is work the bolt with the trigger depressed.........Another idiot trying to lay blame off themselves, and blame someone else.

Offline chimo

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2010, 11:39:23 AM »
1000's of complaints???  I don't believe I have ever read a single bad word about the 700 and I try to keep up on gun news.....  The video clip they have shows the Portland Police pulling the trigger and nothing happening and then they touch the bolt and it fires as the handle starts to be rotated upwards...  That seems like some sort of misalignment and something is out of wack to me but who knows.  Can't believe any company would make the same trigger for 60 years if they knew something was wrong.  Actually, suprised that the trigger hasn't been upgraded in 60 years even if there wasn't a problem???

chimo

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2010, 11:55:54 AM »
That gun had to be grossly illcared for.....either extremely dirty, or as you said chimo a fluke missaligned bolt. Or someone tried to modify the bolt.
I want Paul Harvey to get on this one................... ::)

Offline BIG NINE!!!

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2010, 12:33:02 PM »
I call BS on the whole thing.  :o
Some Anti trying to push there Anti agenda on us. I won't waste my time with crap like that.
Later,
BIG NINE!!!

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2010, 12:34:05 PM »
Remington's are the best guns I own,,  never had a problem!  Luv Em'      Gotta get Viv on here, he makes em'

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2010, 12:37:32 PM »
I call BS on the whole thing.  :o
Some Anti trying to push there Anti agenda on us. I won't waste my time with crap like that.

I would agree that this is most likely the motivation behind this.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2010, 12:38:09 PM »
I saw this a couple of days ago and wanted to look into it a little..   Having a brother, several friends and a neighbor/friend who is one of the top 3 guys in charge you think I would have been able to find something out..   NOT..  Either they didn't know anything about it or couldn't talk about it..   All everyone knew was this show was bad news for Remington and the Mohawk Valley.. I  did find out a couple weeks ago they shut the 700 line down, wheather or not its back up and running, I don't know..  Supposedly CNBC was just going to do a documentary on a "Good Old American Company"...
Remington just took over the H and R  (Harrington & Richardson) and Marlin companies, so things were looking up...
Than I also heard the Military backed out on a multi million dollar contract...

So I don't know whats going to happen..

I actually go past the Remington Homestead, which is still standing, every day on the way to work.. And my boss owns the land on which the original Remington forge was located...

Viv needs to chime in on this...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2010, 12:41:31 PM »
I would agree that this is most likely the motivation behind this.

Something I dont understand is CNBC is a sister company of the one that owns Remington...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2010, 12:52:05 PM »
I bet you could find the same thing with any popular make of firearm.   If a bazillion guns are sold, things happen.  People getting shot on accident is terrible, but we all know that guns need to allways be pointed in a safe direction,, especially when there is a bullet in the chamber!

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2010, 01:42:24 PM »
I still say "Liberal anti-gun  propaganda".The Media will tend to bend the truth (LIE)  to make a story that fit's their agenda where one doesn't exist as I see it. Wouldn't be surprised if the news station had a 700 modified to malfunction purposely for "testing purposes".  I believe very little that I see or read from our news media.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Aziscohosbuck

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2010, 04:51:42 PM »

Something I dont understand is CNBC is a sister company of the one that owns Remington...

To truly understand this connection, you have to go all the way back to the birth of "CNN" back in the early 1980's, at that time it was an established  "New protocol" to report Death, Violence and Mayhem no matter how infantesimal the statistics were clearly against the event occuring and report it 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This was clearly done on the part of CNN management to "create" profit through "Sensationalism", their explicit objective was to create a climate of fear and dread in our society by reporting the most horrific events 24/7, this was a major turning point in news reporting and continues unabated to this very day because "Sex, Violence and trajic Death" sells, and has added handsomely to their "bottom lines" of quarterly Profit and Loss Statements. CNBC is CNN! CNBC under the directives of CNN may have been told to buy a small share of the Remington Company as well as all of the other major Gun manufacturing companies just to keep tabs on these once in a million trajic occurences so that when it happened they had an instant news story worth major bucks!  ::)
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2010, 05:04:22 PM by Aziscohosbuck »

Offline Wolley

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Oct 20, 2010, 05:28:41 PM »
Ive been drooling over a new 700 XCR II. Im going to try and watch this show tonight.
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2010, 09:49:45 PM by Wolley »
wake up America www.infowars.com

Offline Aziscohosbuck

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Oct 20, 2010, 05:57:58 PM »
Ive been drooling over a new 700 ACR II. Im going to try and watch this show tonight.

You can put your faith in that Remington Model 700 no doubt! I owned one and was proud of it, never misfired and was a true tack driver at 100 yards plus. As for CNN, they hounded me to no end after the trajic loss of my 24 year old son, my boy took his first deer with that model 700 and that is a memory that always makes me smile! 8) ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal