Author Topic: information on locating a big rack bull in byron Me. area would be appreciated  (Read 11123 times)

Offline MaineHuntah

• Forked
60" is a tall order. This is mine from last year and it went 775 lbs, the palms were about 28" from tip to tip and the spread was around 48". I'm not exactly sure on the rack measurements but those are pretty close from what I remember. Later on I found out that he was 10 1/2 years old so I think he was heading the other way. I can only imagin what he would have looked like 3-4 years ago. Also on the picture of me holding the rack, please note that I am 6'4" tall and weigh about 250 lbs. I shot him at 8 am on Monday morning and was headed to the butcher shop by noontime. The funny thing is we were hunting an area with heavy pressure and a lot of traffic so we were riding over to a new area when we spotted him down a skidder trail. But anyway, good luck to you and I hope you find that 60" spread but if you see one like this at 8 am Monday, you may be rethinking you goals.

Offline St.Croix

• 6 Pointer
60" is a tall order. This is mine from last year and it went 775 lbs, the palms were about 28" from tip to tip and the spread was around 48". I'm not exactly sure on the rack measurements but those are pretty close from what I remember. Later on I found out that he was 10 1/2 years old so I think he was heading the other way. I can only imagin what he would have looked like 3-4 years ago. Also on the picture of me holding the rack, please note that I am 6'4" tall and weigh about 250 lbs. I shot him at 8 am on Monday morning and was headed to the butcher shop by noontime. The funny thing is we were hunting an area with heavy pressure and a lot of traffic so we were riding over to a new area when we spotted him down a skidder trail. But anyway, good luck to you and I hope you find that 60" spread but if you see one like this at 8 am Monday, you may be rethinking you goals.

Nice moose man! I'm currious to see how old the bull I got this year was.

Vegetarian is an indian word for bad hunter

Offline St.Croix

• 6 Pointer
this is my bull from last year, 953 lb, 53" spread, zone 5,just me and my 70yr.old dad

SS, congrats on an absolute monster! Where abouts did you get him in zone 5? I stayed at my buddies camp in zone 5 last week and got my bull in zone 4.

Vegetarian is an indian word for bad hunter

Offline swampbuggy1

• Spiked
  • NOTHING but HUNTING
what an absolute beaut. congrats and I can only hope to be that forunate.  Thanks for sharing your photos. awsome.

Offline nofishin

• 6 Pointer
60" wow!  that bull would probably dress out over 1000 lb...
remember moose are like deer.  there horns have more to do with genetics than size.  the biggest bull we have shot had a 64" spread and still only wieghed in at 860lbs
i have seen bulls with marginal spreads and points wiegh in over 1000lbs.  think genetics not size

Offline rude the dude

• 6 Pointer
  • they all gotta die sooner or later.
                                    remember moose are like deer.

And fish. You might have to catch a bunch of small ones before you get the big one. :D

Offline Mainehazmt

• 6 Pointer
for a moose call all you need is a coffee can (metal) and a piece of rope with knots tied in each end   punch a hole for the rope   (thin rope) that it barely makes it thru wet the rope and pull it thru the can   works great!  and is cheap!

Offline ALASKANSS

• 6 Pointer
  • HUNTIN'MOONSHINE ISLAND
SS, congrats on an absolute monster! Where abouts did you get him in zone 5? I stayed at my buddies camp in zone 5 last week and got my bull in zone 4.

we were about 3 miles in on the camp violet rd. off rt. 11,
heres a pic.of the finished product,a cheap alternative to a 1200.00 shoulder mount.

Offline swampbuggy1

• Spiked
  • NOTHING but HUNTING
Located a couple nice bulls.  Just hope we can call them in on Monday.  Can't sleep, just waiting for Mon.  I thought deer season gave me sleepless nights.  Well I guess Moose season does also.  I wish all you hunters success this coming week and also for this up coming deer season.

Offline nofishin

• 6 Pointer
well how did the hunt go?

Offline 3006 deerslayer

• 6 Pointer
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot gun,
he likely knows how to use it."

Offline Bigfish57

• 6 Pointer
I saw the new post in here and was hoping for an update as well.

Offline rude the dude

• 6 Pointer
Doesn't look good. :o

Offline swampbuggy1

• Spiked
  • NOTHING but HUNTING
The best time of my life.  Great week! Didn't get him until Sat. morning.  I think the snow and cold messed them up and they went into the mountains.  But yes I did get a nice bull.  It weighed 937 lbs. and the rack is 53 in.  It was a fantastic hunt spent a couple of nights in the woods with my son and grandson. Cold but awesome.  Did a lot of calling and had some response. Passed up a few lesser bulls waiting for this guy to come in and it took all week.  Just today got the meat off to the butcher.  I will post some pictures as soon as I can.  Thank you for all your advice and interest in my hunt.  Had a great time!!!!!

Offline rude the dude

• 6 Pointer
Congrats . You must have been starting to wonder about passing up shots come friday night. Glad to see you got er done. 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal