Author Topic: information on locating a big rack bull in byron Me. area would be appreciated  (Read 11122 times)

Offline swampbuggy1

• Spiked
  • NOTHING but HUNTING
I have zone 7 for a bull moose and being 61 I have a feeling this will be my first and last permit.  It's only taken 20 some odd years to get one.  now that I creek with every step I take I need help in scouting out areas for a nice bull.  any help or information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance

Offline nofishin

• 6 Pointer
that is a pretty tall request.  just start scouting this week and you will find one.  Where are you from?

Offline swampbuggy1

• Spiked
  • NOTHING but HUNTING
that is a pretty tall request.  just start scouting this week and you will find one.  Where are you from?
From the Mexico area.  Thanks for the confidence.  That is what I will be doing for the next 10 days.  I really hope to locate a nice one.

Offline knurren

• 6 Pointer
  • New Hampshire's alright if you like fighting!
Start looking over some maps and areal photos.  Get an idea of a few spots you want to try based on the topos then take a drive.  Look for 3 - 5 year old clear cuts, glass them, and maybe even do a little calling.  They're rutting now and maybe you can get one fired up to judge the quality of the animals in that area.  Make sure to get at least 4 spots lined up to hunt because hunting pressure can change everything and you will have to adapt.

http://www.anywho.com/md.html

http://www.digital-topo-maps.com/

Just out of curiosity, how big of a rack are you looking for? 

Offline swampbuggy1

• Spiked
  • NOTHING but HUNTING
Thanks Knurren, you got me fired up and I plan on doing just that I will be out looking later this afternoon.  Took a ride yesterday and saw one bull.  I would like to get one in the 60 in. range that would be great.  I just purchased a moose call last week made by wayne somebody in Alaska.  It's a little heavy to carry but hopefully I can find a spot and set up the night before the hunt.  I will be checking out the web site you gave me.  Thanks again Knurren.

Offline knurren

• 6 Pointer
  • New Hampshire's alright if you like fighting!
60 inch would be an excellent bull. Good luck and take lots of pictures. :)

Offline Bigfish57

• 6 Pointer
60 is a giant. A Maine record book moose needs to have 50" to qualify.
Some day I'll be drawn, till then I'll continue to enjoy all the pictures you guys post.

Offline nofishin

• 6 Pointer
60" is a pretty big request.  they are out there but you need to put in your time.  learn how to call.  those big ones just don't walk around on the roads all day long.  they don't get big being stupid.  plus it is pretty hard passing up a 55" bull waiting for a 60" bull to step out

Offline ALASKANSS

• 6 Pointer
  • HUNTIN'MOONSHINE ISLAND
60" wow!  that bull would probably dress out over 1000 lb...

Offline swampbuggy1

• Spiked
  • NOTHING but HUNTING
60" is a pretty big request.  they are out there but you need to put in your time.  learn how to call.  those big ones just don't walk around on the roads all day long.  they don't get big being stupid.  plus it is pretty hard passing up a 55" bull waiting for a 60" bull to step out
Ya I know 60 inches is big and I would shot one 55 or better It's just so much like a once in a lifetime chance and I really want a good one, but I really want to have a good time doing it.  I guess that is whats most important.  Having FUN.  I'm enjoying every day I go out scouting these areas.  Thanks for all your encouragement.

Offline buckhunta

• 6 Pointer
hey swamp buggy i live in rumford   

just wondering    what your name is
IF ITS BROWN ITS DOWN
people that steal other peoples stuff  are lower than whale on the bottom of the ocean

Offline ALASKANSS

• 6 Pointer
  • HUNTIN'MOONSHINE ISLAND
this is my bull from last year, 953 lb, 53" spread, zone 5,just me and my 70yr.old dad

Offline Bigfish57

• 6 Pointer
I definitely want to shoot one over 50" is I ever get drawn too. However "Never pass up on Monday what you would be happy to shoot on Saturday" can be a hard pill to swallow if you don't see any moose past Wednesday. Of course your not likely to shoot a giant if you take the first one that comes along. I have nightmares about this scenario and I haven't even been drawn yet. Good luck on your hunt and I totally agree, have fun whatever you decide.

Offline animalkilla

• Forked
got my first permit last year in zone 7 called in a bull monday am 49 inches 760 lbs couldnt be happier very nice animal trophy in my book

Offline swampbuggy1

• Spiked
  • NOTHING but HUNTING
this is my bull from last year, 953 lb, 53" spread, zone 5,just me and my 70yr.old dad

Lord! what a nice bull.  I would be happy with that.  Congrats to you and your Dad.  Hunting with your Dad must really be special.  I think that is just great to be able to share that together.  My son and I are doing a lot of scouting together and I can't imagine doing it without him.  He is my best friend and hunting pal. He works alot and still manages to find time.   
Nice one and congrats.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal