Author Topic: .308 too much?  (Read 5492 times)

Offline james

• Forked
Re: .308 too much?
« Reply #15 on: Apr 04, 2009, 09:43:40 PM »
Hey James I was seriously looking at callers last year but just did not know enough. Tell us more about digital callers. How you use them - brands -- pro - cons etc.

I have the Johny stewart prey master, which is only one hundred dollars, but it has a long cord that goes to the speaker which can be a pain when your setting up to call, and then you have to wind it up when your done.
When i bought mine that was the only option they had , but now for two hundred you can get the same model only wireless, that would be my pick.

I tried a few mouth calls over the years with no success, and then i bought the caller and shot my first coyote on the first set i made.  ;D

As far as using them, i like to set the caller behind me on the edge of a feild while i stay just inside the woodline,while calling into a light wind, this way your smell goes into the feild and not the woods.
If you use the caller,wind, terrain, and location you can put them in your lap every time.
james

Offline james

• Forked
« Reply #16 on: Apr 05, 2009, 11:13:18 AM »
I forgot to mention, if you are hunting coyotes in unit m, you can use a rifle on them.

The only time you have to go to the shotgun down there is, during the night hunting season that starts in jan.

james

Offline cedarswamp

• Forked
« Reply #17 on: Apr 05, 2009, 11:29:41 AM »
We hunt them in NY at night with mouth calls and .223 or 12 ga. w/ #4 buck 3" shells. We kill Coyotes, both red and gray fox, and Bobcats. This past season we killed more Fox than anything. Coyotes can be wounded with any caliber or killed with any caliber, my hunting buddy killed one this year with a 22 long rifle only due to it being in the city limits . He shot it in the lungs , it ran 150yds. or so. I have seen them wounded with 300 mag. rifles , where they wern't recovered. So I guess what I'm saying is if you want to do something with the hide use a 223 or 12 ga. #4 buck. If you don't plan on skinning them out use whatever you have for deer hunting. Good Luck, and lets kill more of these deer eaters.
Led in the air or a line in the water

Offline james

• Forked
« Reply #18 on: Apr 29, 2009, 12:31:25 PM »
Another thing i forgot to mention is when your calling watch the birds.
whatever way they come flying, chances are thats the way the coyote will come in.

james

Offline rude the dude

• 6 Pointer
  • they all gotta die sooner or later.
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 02:04:07 PM »
All your need is a 30-30. Best gun ever. 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal